1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFSP anxiety

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lizdot, May 19, 2018.

1. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Hi
    Early years profile and moderation are approaching fast. In the Autumn term I felt happy that most children would achieve at least expected. As time went on and some children failed to make expected progress I became less certain. Now I know that several are not reaching the expected levels. I have kept my head informed but she always replied with, "You can do it!" Well I couldn't and I haven't. Now I am losing sleep, getting anxious, making my family's life miserable, spending hours and hours finding new ways to teach what I haven't managed to instil and generally feeling a bit useless. I am a highly experienced teacher and have been moderated many times but have never felt so desperate. Family life is really suffering.
    Any positive thoughts will be gratefully received.
    Thank you

2. menhir

menhir New commenter

Have these children made progress? Are there reasons they are not reaching expected? There should be a narrative alongside the figures. Your head should be aware of the children who are below, as you are. If they are not there, then they are not - you cannot wave a magic wand! They are children, not machines and they may be at expected in year 1 or 2 when they are ready or they may always be in the bottom 20%. This is not in your power to deliver and you should not feel guilty, stressed or bad about it if you know you have done your best.

grumpydogwoman, Gsr25 and thekillers1 like this.
  3. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Thank you Menhir. Some of the children are below, fullstop and are likely to be for a long time. My concern is for those that I felt could but haven't. I feel for sure that they will get there. The main reason for the lack of progress is that my TA has had most of her time taken up dealing with a disturbed boy (one of the ones who won't get there for some time)

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I know some will probably get all shouty about this, but...

I really would not accept that a TA often being busy with a disruptive pupil could be 'the main reason' that children who all considered capable of making good progress have not.

There may be other valid reasons for the situation, but this does not sound like one.

Half the classes, in half the schools in the country have very disruptive children in them, they are not normally cited as the reason for other children not making good progress.

If the TA is dealing with the 'disturbed boy' for you, then surely you're free to teach your class effectively?

Flanks likes this.
  5. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

When my TA is dealing with this boy, which is most of the time, in effect I have no TA as far as the rest of the class is concerned. Not sure if you have experience of Foundation Stage Pomza, but I think most FS teachers find their TAs to be a godsend and could not do their job anywhere near as well without. A TA who is tied up with other things for most of the time can only do so much. My TA is not full time leaving me in charge unsupported for two hours a day. Also, even when supported by the TA, disruption to the whole class teaching is frequent. I have been teaching for 35 years and never had to deal with this level of problem.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Let’s not forget the age of these children - 4 or 5. They’ve been in this world for between 48 and 60 months. Children develop at different rates. They will absorb things when they are ready, not always at their actual age. This is the problem with profiles - at such and such an age, a child should be ...
    This is rubbish, and early years practitioners worth their salt know this!
    In addition, factors such as what is going on in their personal lives should be considered, Ofsted or no Ofsted ( and shame on them and any head teachers who might say this has no bearing on a child’s progress), they may be suffering from the split of their Parents, they may be victims of abuse, ( in all its forms), they may be SEN, or, they may not have reached THEIR milestone yet. It seems to me that children are expected to be ready all at the same time because they are 4 or 5 ( or whatever age), when we know that this is just not the case. Our education system is the problem, not the child!!

Mermaid7, pepper5, sbkrobson and 3 others like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

A TA is a godsend, but the fact you only have them for the mornings (by the sound of it) should be well known to the head.

If children haven't been making progress, this should have been flagged up much, much sooner. Have you raised the problems at progress meetings? Is the head aware that you aren't able to teach effectively when this child is in the class?

If your head is aware that you have done the best possible job you could have done and children have made the best progress they could have done, then all is well. Don't go telling the head you this one or that one ought to have made more progress...you have done your job and so they have all made the best progress they could. That's it. Done.

(Easy for me to say...I know.)

8. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

This is why HTs should not set GLD targets at the start of the year! Normally based on erroneous data from the previous year with no understanding of the cohort coming in!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well they ought to be.
    Classroom disruption is the one single variable which, if fixed,would have a rapid positive impact on everybody's progress.

pepper5 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

You have my sympathy @lizdot. I’ve had my TA taken away from me due to funding cuts and I’m really finding it tough. Having an extra pair of eyes/hands makes all the difference. Mine could definitely be making better progress if I had some support in class.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. JWMU

JWMU New commenter

If your TA is part-time doesn’t that put you out of staff-pupil ratio in EYFS for those hours she’s not there?

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

The OP should know what she is talking about - 35 years teaching is no small feat. I would be honoured to meet and work with a teacher who has taught for 35 years.

I wouldn't want to teach 30 very small children in a class without a TA or a TA whose time is taken up by one child.

Put the blame squarely on whose fault it is: the Government's for not giving schools the money they need for the needs they have - children who need extra support.

lizdot

Try not to worry. If the Head makes a fuss, then contact your Union and the Education Partnership. If I were you, I would call the Education Support Partnership today for a chat. Their number is pinned at the top of this forum and they are available 24/7. Try not to let this affect your life so badly.

You have done all you could have under the circumstances and I don't believe that anyone could have managed any better.

1 person likes this.
  13. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi lizdot. Please don' worry about the moderation process, do you know that you are being moderated? The moderation is not there to judge practice or progress, but to ensure that your judgements are accurate. If you've been in reception a number of years and been moderated many times, I'm sure you have no reason to doubt the accuracy of your judgements.
    Regarding progress, is this the first time you have not had the support for two hours each day? This could be an argument to your head regarding children who aren't quite there yet.

Finally, you do still have a month. Are there a few children who are nearly there who you think can get there over the next few weeks?

pepper5 likes this.