1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eyfs

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 1992CO, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Does anyone actually like the eyfs?

2. If used correctly as a guidance yes I liked it. Now in Scotland we don't have a very different system, which has the staff/manager writing the stepping stones. Also the EYFS asks you to look at children as individuals, i feel the scottish various explores the collective.
    TB

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

I hate it. I think it's completely bonkers. I reckon the government wanted to copy what middle class parents do at home so that all children could make similar progress. But it seems to me that what good parents do isn't make observations of their children or necessarily provide lots of activities. The thing that makes a difference is talking to children. properly. And EYFS just gets in the way of this, as does emplying lots of semi-literate staff.

Sorry, that sounds like a rant, but EYFS, as far as I can see, gets in the way of doing genuinely useful things, it's far too prescriptive and completely misses the point. It also has a terrible name.