1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eyfs/y1 mixed class phonics!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pintsizedpixie, Oct 10, 2018.

1. pintsizedpixie

pintsizedpixie New commenter

Hi,

Looking for advice on teaching phonics to a mixed eyfs/year 1 class. I have an interview coming up and have to give a 10 minute phonics lesson to a small group of mixed y1 and eyfs chn.

Eyfs chn have just started phase 2 and year 1 are in phase 5!

Normally I would teach to the highest point and then differentiate the activities within a normal mixed ability class but with eyfs only just starting phase 2- I don't think I can in 10 minutes!

So all in all not sure where to start unless the activity revolves around nonsense and real words or a phonological awareness activity but then I'm conscious I'm not teaching anything new

Any advice, hints or tips would be gratefully appreciated! :)

2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I have that every day in my Phonics lessons. I am pitching to the middle (ie Phase 3) with differentiation up and down. I’m bloody knackered by the end.

3. mmwagner

mmwagner New commenter

I am on this site to find out how this is done. I have 3 year olds freeflowing, reception and year 1 with 1 TA. I have delivered phase 2 and left the follow up tasks with TA then delivered phase 3 (going over it again) with Year 1's. It takes up too much time and TA is not experienced enough so i need a new plan!