1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS TA interview activity

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by pinkprincess565, Nov 21, 2018.

1. pinkprincess565

pinkprincess565 New commenter

I have an interview for a teaching assistant role. I have experience working with children of preschool age but have not worked in a school. I have been asked to plan and deliver a 20 minute activity of my choice, with up to 6-8 EYFS children.

I was thinking of doing a fishing game where the children take turns to fish for a letter and then see if they can recognise that letter. I was also going to have some mats with some simple words like cat, dog, mat incase some children are more competent and can match the letters to blend the sounds together.

I am aware that it is early in the year and the children have only just started, so didn't want to plan something to hard but also be prepared to deliver more if need be.

Do you think this sounds a good activity for EYFS TA?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

This does sound like a good activity but I wouldn't expect the children to be able to concentrate on it for 20 minutes. Could you start with a short story (10 mins) about letters or fishing (something is linked to the activity), and then bring out the activity for the final 10 mins?

Jen26 and sunshineneeded like this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Good suggestion from Kartoshka. Best of luck with the interview.