1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS STAFF RATIOS

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rosieak2000, Oct 18, 2018.

1. rosieak2000

rosieak2000 New commenter

Hi, can anyone clarify the exact staff ratios for Nursery /Kindergarten? (age 3-4). If there is one staff member with EY Status and one with Level 3, what is the maximum number of kids allowed?

Cheers!

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

3. rosieak2000

rosieak2000 New commenter

I've been referring to that but colleagues are coming out with different interpretations of it... Last week there were 2 staff (1 EY status & 1 Level 3) with 26 three year olds - it was crazy!!! I thought it would be:

EY Status can have 1:13, plus
    Level 3 can have 1:8

Meaning maximum of 21 kids.

Is this right?? Or is it a EY Status with a Level 3 can have 1:13? Any additional L3sin room can have 1:8??

Thanks for any clarification!!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Nt31

Nt31 New commenter

It is the EY status member of staff that dictates the ratios if working alongside a level 3. The ratio is 1:13 so the maximum number you can have would be 26. If the only staff are level 3 with no EY status then the ratios are 1:8 so maximum numbers would be 16 with 2 staff and 24 with 3.
    I know it probably feels like a lot of children and difficult to manage but lots of nurseries do. The fact that it’s the legal requirement doesn’t make it right. I was fortunate to work in a school that prioritised staffing to improve quality so I worked as a teacher with 2 very skilled support staff. We all really noticed the difference if someone was off sick or on a course as we weren’t always able to cover their job with supply staff.
    The only thing I can promise is that it does get easier as the year goes on and the children become mmore independent.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Nt31 is correct, the ratio refers to all staff once an EYT or QTS is present. I presume this is what you mean by EY status?
    Many school nurseries operate with 39 children and 3 staff, one of whom is a teacher.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I can imagine!!! But it is perfectly acceptable if they are all in the same room.

The 1:8 refers to what the person with level 3 can have by themselves.

It's not what I'd want, but it isn't 'wrong'.

agathamorse likes this.