1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS staff ratios - do you need a qualified teacher?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tog, Jun 19, 2008.

1. just reading the may edition of eyfs doc. can't believe i wasn't fully aware of this before--- early years teachers do not actually have to be be real teachers!!!! what on earth did we do all our training for if people who are not qualified teachers are actually being called teachers and expected to do the same job?!!! now i realise why nobody believes i'm a real teacher when i say i'm a nursery teacher. oooooh i'm angry!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yes I know wigglypops, its one area where the new guidance hasn't tightened up on the terminology and so cynical that I am, heads will use that to their own effect. Having said that, they cant just appoint a TA to lead reception as I mentioned before unless certain conditions are met, (eg the person would have to be appointed as a UT and NOT as a TA). However it wont stop many heads from trying (and probabaly succeeding)

3. In the appendix of EYFS, it states that a teacher must be in charge of a nursery or reeption class and this is defined as...quote...

"As defined by Section 122 of the Education Act 2002 and the Education (School Teachers? Prescribed Qualifications, etc) Order 2003."

All state nursery and reception classes must be led by a qualified teacher from Sept - not sure about indep schools.

4. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

yes and grumbleweed it also states qualified teachers and what counts as a qualified teacher in the infant class size regulations. Unqualifed or working towards do not.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

If you actually read the education act and the prescribed qualification to which Samsa refers you will see that they define a 'school teacher' in many ways, NOT just as a person with QTS. (and it includes those in training)

The point Im trying to make here is that if there is the tiniest loop hole, some heads will exploit it, whereas if the EYFS framework just said 'qualified teacher' or QTs (instead of school teacher as defined by...)then it would not be so easy for heads NOT to employ a QT.

6. tog

tog

So what will Ofsted say? Will they know? TA taking class is not training as teacher and does not have degree, and a QT could have been employed by renewing contracts... Feel that yet again the youngest children have been sidelined - reading these MBs our school is not the only one with this attitude. Am wondering now if there is a CVA sub-plot going on here?
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

7. I am a qualified Nursery Nurse and also have about half of my foundation degree, and I cover one day a week in the reception class and do the supply, and so am not a 'QT'. Alongside this, I have worked at this school and alongside the teacher I cover for for over 10 years, I know the ethos of the school, the children and how the teacher plans etc etc! my point is, that isn't it better that someone so knowledgeable of how the school runs and who has an in-depth knowledge of the children, takes the class, rather then a 'qualified' supply teacher who doesn't have all these pros, and will probable just do 'fill in' work! And also can I just mention that some teachers from years ago didn't even have a degree and that they are still teaching. Experience counts!

8. I completely agree with what you say Xlou, I am also an NEO working in the EYFS for past 8 years and have in depth knowledge of the EYFS, I prefer taking up the whole class in the absence of the teacher because supply teachers don't have a clue and we are more than able to take the class as we know the children, the routine and the planning, its true experience does count. I have a degree and I am planning to apply for gtp hope it works out.

Zee

9. Schools will use the wording in the new EFYS to provide time for PPA cover as before(School teachers do not include teaching assistants, higher level teaching asssitants or other support staff. Consequently, in a <u>normal teaching session</u>, a school must employ sufficient school teachers to enable it to teach) . What is a normal teaching session, schools are already saying that golden time etc is not a normal teaching time so that why TA's are supervising. I have been a HLTA and there are times when a known member of staff is more able to meet the needs of the children than an unknown supply teacher.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If a school were to use support staff instead of teachers to lead its infant groups, either as a permanent arrangement or for the majority of the school week on a regular basis, it would be in default of its class size duty.
    Consequently, a school must employ sufficient teachers to enable it to teach its infant classes in groups of no more than 30 per school teacher.
    A normal teaching session is just that so doesn't include assemblies or golden time or sports days etc.