1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS staff ratios - do you need a qualified teacher?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tog, Jun 19, 2008.

1. tog

tog

Does anyone know if the new regulations mean it is OK for a TA to take the Reception class (full-time, not just for cover) instead of a qualified teacher? From what I've read, you have to have a teacher even for PPA time etc, but "someone" seems to think it's OK because the nursery teacher can "oversee" the reception class (from another building, pretty amazing that!). I know you can be more flexible in a FS unit, but if they are two separate classes surely they should both have teachers?

2. We have been told by our EY advisor that it is OK for TA to cover PPA in reception and it is OK for 2 TAs to cover PPA in Nursery.

3. tog

tog

What about taking the class though? I mean not having a reception teacher at all. That can't be Ok, can it?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

No!

I'd love to know who this 'someone' was.

5. tog

tog

A headteacher ...

6. Have a look at all the staffing requirements laid out in the EYFS document. A reception class must have as a minimum one qualified teacher, and nursery a minimum of one teacher and one TA qualified to Level 3. It becomes more complex depending on the scenario, for example if nursery and reception are combined in a unit there may have to be at least two teachers because the infant class size ratio, which is applied to reception classes only counts if the majority of the group reach five years of age in that school year. If there are a lot of 3-4 year olds then you have to have the under-fives ratios.
    Poor you it sounds as if your HT is somewhat behind the times.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It is NOT OK for a TA to take ANY class full time! TAs should only be expected to cover for PPA time and short term (unplanned) absence

8. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

In answer to the question, no it is not ok for a ta to take the reception class. Infant class size regulations as well as the EYFS inform us that legally a qualified teacher must take the class. Your School will be aware of this as will the la, there is even a link address in the class size regulations to report LA's and Schools who are not conforming with this.

An advisor may have said ok for ta to take ppa, but according to the legaliaties in EYFS this is not ok a qualified nn should be taking the class. Advisors just seem to say whatever they want and some have scant regard for the legal side of things as do la's and schools. Amazing if these were big buisinesses there would be large fines and compensation!

9. No No No No No .........what is going on?????? How do heads think they can get away with it. The Sip or LEA will not allow this.
    Poor you for being put in this position. Just take the Head's job and salary..... he won't mind, he will be busy teaching reception!!

10. I am going to go down to foundation this year, I have no experience at all, have only taught year 4!!!! We have 38 children starting. Looking at the new document, it states you need a teacher for 30 children. My Head has given me a nursery nurse, and 2 TAs. Is this sufficien? Or do I need another teacher?

11. Yes Jolly June, you need another teacher.

12. Please be aware there is now a new May edition of the EYFS out. The main changes are in ratios, and it clearly states that ppa time, short unplanned absence/sickness can be covered by EY assistants, providing they already work in that class and are familiar with routines, planning etc

13. Do you know how I can get hold of a hard copy of the new version of the EYFS?

14. tog

tog

thanks to you all for your replies - off to battle I go! (Again! They wouldn't do this to a Year 6 class, would they! At least, not till after SATS.)

15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Just to add a spanner into the works. There are many schools across the country employing TAs as unqualified teachers (i have mentored a fair few) and so it IS possible to have a TA taking the class. There are certain rules that should apply (although Heads frequently flout these too) ie the post could not be filled by a QT; the TA must be registered on an employment based training route (eg GTP); I think they only have 5 years to get QTS.

And yes in my part of the world, it happens in all age groups..in my last school almost one third of our teaching staff did not a recognised teaching qualification!

16. Is there a weblink for this? I can't find one and would appreciate anyone's help on this.

17. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

grumbleweed schools have to employ a qualified teacher now. They should not have a ta, they do but they shouldnt. No where in the EYFS does it say that this is ok and this is going to be our legal document for nursery classes. Even the infant regualtions for reception class state the teacher must be qualified.

18. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

Cinderella if my memory serves correct they use that terminology 'school teacher' rather than saying QTS and say as defined by...(whichever act it was). This means a 'teacher' can still be appointed and not yet qualified as long as certain other conditions are met (eg that teacher is in the process of training ; school cannot recruit QTS etc)This hasn't as far as I can see changed, Ive spent the past 4 years working with unqualified teachers because they are cheap.. I cant see this changing in September because it doesn't specify QTS when referring specifically to the maintained sector..
    Im happy to be corrected on this as I couldn't find the exact bit in the guidance where it talks about this.

19. i'm very interested to read this thread. i'm wondering if a nursery nurse can be the lead adult in reception? i'm very cross about the proposals in my school- because my little nursery children are not going to be getting the best education we can provide. i'm worried that parents will not be fully aware of the situation and will assume that the nn is a teacher. i want to battle it for them as i'm in the know. eek.