1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS review: Teaching in the early years should be focused on improving children?s ?school readiness?,

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by minizog94, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Just wondered how others feel about this?

2. i guess we need a definition of 'school readiness' if it means that after the reception year children need to be ready for 'formal' teaching and not from a play based child centered approach then i personally would be concerned as many children who have not reached scale point 6 will still need to learn through play and access learning through for example continuous provision in Y1...
    School readiness - what does that term mean to you?...

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

Well obviuosly. School, targets and results are the only thing that matter in life.

I found this deeply depressing. Children should be happy and have lots of learning. If they are then they'll be ready for school. It's like the idea of teaching people how to be happy, which is rubbish. If people have good, satisfying lives they'll be happy. You don't need a separate area of happiness promotion, just as you don't need to focus on school readiness, whatever that is (I notice the document doesn't seem to have an opinion on what it is either!.

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

It means they should be toilet trained. Doh[​IMG]
    And the best of them should also know to wash their hands and flush without being reminded every time they use the loo.
    Also, nose picking should be discouraged.
    And they should not have head lice.
    Absolutely brill. Gis us a job mate.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The interview I heard more or less said just that Nelly [​IMG]

6. We need to be careful here. I notice that the review refers to nursery as opposed to foundation stage as being the stage at which this school readiness should be promoted, and goes on to say:
    • We need more often to be getting early extra support to these children,
      to help them catch up and be ready to benefit from the opportunities
      available to them in reception class and Key Stage 1.
    So it looks like reception class is to be the point where 'schooling' starts. Now if that just means that children should be toilet trained when they start reception class that's fine and dandy, but it's a worrying move if it paves the way for something else.