1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS Reception interview- maths

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by vrhc, Jan 6, 2016.

1. vrhc

vrhc New commenter

Hi,
    I'm just looking for some help really on an idea I have for two activities that myself and the TA will be doing.
    The focus is on number work to 20 for 20 children, so after the input (which i'm not sure of yet! I was thinking a puppet who makes mistakes?) I was going to do similar activities through matching numbers to dots.

The TA will work with a group in the water tray with plastic balls where some have numbers up to 20 and others with the corresponding number of dots on. The children will then fish out the plastic balls. However, I'm then stumped as how to run it. Where could the balls go once they've been fished out? Should I ask the TA just to put the balls with the numbers on in first, order them, then put the balls with dots in to match up?...but then still where will the balls be placed to match up?

Now! I'm going to take my group outside to match bear footprints with numbers on, to footprints with dots. Again, say I have 12-15 children how could I organise it to run smoothly whilst I'm being observed? Work in partners? Have a certain amount of numbers each?

I'd appreciate any help from knowledgeable others! :)
    Thank you!

2. lovecats10

lovecats10 New commenter

Hi .. first of all good luck for the interview! sounds like you have some exciting activities planned :)

For the water activity is it possible for the children to order number cards on the carpet in a numberline first and then fish out corresponding balls with dots on to match to the cards they already ordered? Or if you don't have that much time, to get the children to all put a number card on the carpet or floor and then put the matching ball with dots on the right card? Perhaps they could try to order them afterwards if there is time? You could also instead have small numbered boxes with numbers on placed on the carpet for them to place the balls which they could order as a group in a numberline after matching them all up?

For the bear hunt game, I've played a game outside with up to 15 children which my group simply loved and it was very active but with a clear number focus and you could adapt for your bear hunt idea.
    I took the children outside and had them stand by a wall. I then gave them a number card. Then I modelled running in the garden and throwing my card down somewhere and returning to the wall. When everyone has returned (I made this very quick with a count down from 10) I then challenged children to go find a different number card. The children simply loved it. We did it time and time again, each time trying to find a different number before finally ordering the numbers. Perhaps you could do this game and order the cards in a numberline on floor before giving out bear footprint cards and asking children to match them or getting children to throw out footprint cards and collect one to match to numberline? Or alternatively you could play the game with sets of 6 number and 6 footprint cards - perhaps firstly with numbers between 1-10 and then with numbers between 10-20 asking children to find their matching partner when they return to the wall or starting point?

Hope that helps. Sure other people will have lots of ideas too :)

3. vrhc

vrhc New commenter

Thank you so much for your ideas, they are wonderful, I love them!

I really appreciate it :)

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Make sure to plan for some differentiation within your activities. How will your lesson provide challenge for the child who can confidently count and recognise numbers to 20? How will your lesson support the child who cannot yet count accurately beyond 5? This is obviously hard for you to plan when you don't know the children, but needs thinking about if you are to be successful at interview. Good luck!

5. lovecats10

lovecats10 New commenter

Great thinking @Kartoshka. Some of my children would certainly struggle to recognise all the numbers - perhaps you could add dots the the back of your cards for children to count if they can't recognise the numbers @hlou14 ? HA children could be challenged to chalk numbers in sequence from 1-20 and continue onwards if they can? Always good to get some mark making in an activity :)

6. vrhc

vrhc New commenter

Thank you for all your help. I have taken everything that has been said on board.
    Just something extra now...does anyone have a good idea for a plenary which is active and could be easily adapted? Thank you again!

7. vrhc

vrhc New commenter

I got the job!! :)

Kartoshka likes this.
  8. lovecats10

lovecats10 New commenter

Congratulations! That is fantastic news! So happy to hear this :)

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Thank you for letting us know!