1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eyfs reception entry level

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kmm86, May 27, 2019.

1. kmm86

kmm86 New commenter

Does anyone have any information or details about what level the average child should be starting Reception at. Also if you have nursery children who are September/October birthdays would it be expected (obviously depending on their ability) that they would enter reception already within 40-60?

Also last request - does anyone have any examples of early writing within the 40-60 months levels? All i can find are ELG examples.

Thanks

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Most of mine leaving me will be secure at 30-50 and have a few bits of 40-60 under their belt.
    One or two are below this and a few slightly above.
    But in a different school, with a different intake, having anyone secure at 30-50 could be a minor miracle. In another school, having anyone still working anywhere within 30-50 could indicate a problem.

I don't think it is an exact science, so saying an autumn born child should be ahead of summer born children isn't necessarily the case, and doesn't need to be. I understand the idea that an early autumn born child will have been 50 months old by Christmas, so (in theory) should have achieved all the 30-50 bits by then. By if they started nursery at the same time as a spring or summer born child, then they might not, depending on the experiences they had before starting.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I agree. There used to be some OFSTED guidance on this but it disappeared in one of the framework updates. Typically though developing some skills in the 40 to 60 would be fine. The vast majority of your reception children will be over 50 months at the start of reception, and so it's reasonable to say ARE would show a solid 30 to 50 with growing elements of 40 to 60. But you would also have a range on this too. If you have high numbers of SEND or EAL, or EYPP, they might be lower.

With writing, do you have a local hub or moderation groups where you can share writing samples. I think the 40 to 60 writing links strongly with reading, moving and handling and speaking. If not, start to collect your own, work with colleagues discussing samples and where they do or don't sit. This will also help you with those on the cusp of expected and those on cusp of exceeding.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

I'm sending 10 children on to reception this summer.
    When they arrive in September:
    1 will be 58 months
    1 will be 54 months
    2 will be 52 months
    1 will be 51 months
    5 will be 49 months(Or more accurately, 48 and a bit months!)

Yes, a ridiculously young cohort with half of them being mid August birthdays!
    And one of the 52 months children has significant SEND, and is nowhere near 30-50 months in most areas!
    :D

5. kmm86

kmm86 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. I should have given a little more background. I work in a British international school in the middle east. It is a selective school so the children need to pass an assessment to come into the school. I have 7children who can read and are currently on ORT. These children can also write CVC words confidently and also use their phonological knowledge to attempt to write longer words. To me they tick off lots in 40-60 months already!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

So are you the nursery teacher who is trying to get the children to reach the standard for the school entry?

If children can read and write cvc words and use phonics to attempt longer words, then yes, in terms of literacy, they are within 40-60 months. But what about all the other areas of learning?

gingerhobo48 likes this.