1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS principles and Christmas!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by maggiestowe, Oct 15, 2009.

1. I reckon we are getting much better at following the children's lead and planning for more child initiated activities. Especially in the creative area....children's individual work is now valued.
    <u>But then comes along December 1st!</u>
    Back to cutting out 25 stars and 25 angels. Whose turn is it to design THE Christmas card (and I mean which practitioner!!)) and then the thorny issue of the Nativity......
    Suddenly children are joining conveyor belts of decoration making etc.....
    Ok, so this might be a bit extreme, but you get my drift!
    So I invite fellow Early Years Practitioners to share ideas for Christmas activities which allow children to remain calm and creative. (and maybe reduce some of the stress for adults too!)
    I appreciate that Christmas is not always given such a focus in all settings, but the principle applies to any celebrations really.
    I will offer the first idea! We had an open week where parents could join their children for part/all session to play together. Activites with a Christmas theme were offerered for children, parent and child and just parents. The Nativity and other children's Christmas stories were shared throughout each session, with Nativity costumes available in the role play area.....
    so over to you!!

2. I dont start the C work til much later than december 1st! usually just the last 2 weeks of school -couldn't cope with drowning in glitter for that long!!:eek:

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We make 1 card, 1 calendar and 1 decoration. All part of my normal adult directed tasks. Anything else is enhanced provision added to areas.

4. me again

me again New commenter

My children always make their own decorations, card and calendar- their ideas are much better than mine!