1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS Planning/observation recording

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jenny37, Jan 27, 2011.

1. We have been told today that our short term planning is inadequate and we need to sort it out immediately !!!!
    Also the way we record observations and show how we are using these in our planning is not right.

Rubbish day all round really
    Would appreciate any help on offer I love my job staff morale at an all time low!!!
    Thank you in advance

2. We have been told today that our short term planning is inadequate and we need to sort it out immediately !!!!
    Also the way we record observations and show how we are using these in our planning is not right.

Rubbish day all round really
    Would appreciate any help on offer I love my job staff morale at an all time low!!!
    Thank you in advance

3. Hello
    We are in the process of changing our planning. However our obersvations and assesments work perfectly.
    Each child has a A4 sized book with their name and photo on the front. Inside we record sponteneous observations on sticky labels and then photos where possible. We then evaluate it by using the EYFS coding system. for example CDDIIP12 (30-50 Months) we then highlight each code that the child has acheived termly so when we look at the back of the childs learning journey we can see exactly where we are at. Ofstead loved this. It also enables you to plan next steps and see what the child needs to be achiving next to put on your planning.
    We also do focused observations once a term. This is also evaluated the same way.
    If you would like me to email you the paperwork what we use for evaluation i dont mind t all :)

4. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

My observations and assessments work in the same way as prettylittlemonkey although I don't put the 3- - 50 months bit in. So I might put CLL, R 3 if the observation gives evidence of reading at level 3 of the reading bit of communication, language and literacy. They go in the book chronologically - I tried to organise them by area of learningwhen I first started but of course 1 snap observation might cover several areas of learning, silly me! I also include quite a few photos as these are often the best evidence of things that I have seen and save reems of paper trying to describe something. I insert the pic into a word doc, annotate and put the coding on before printing. I try to download and annotate any photos daily as otherwise I forget what I've seen!
    If I feel that I need more evidence for an area of learning I copy it on to my planning and try to keep an eye out for these things, I find that this helps to draw my TA's attention to what what I'm looking for, focuses my mind and is a way of communicating with my job share partner (she does 1 day to my 4).
    There is a planning thread on the primary board - very long, started approx 4 days ago, sorry I can't remember what it is called. One of the posters on there is EY and has just been through Ofsted with planning well rated. There is a summary of their planning which sounded mercifully brief. It might be worth looking on there if you can bear the time to trawl through.

5. Thank you so much if you could email paperwork i would be so grateful. Am feeling so down at the moment we have little support all training on hold at the moment. i will do anything to turn us round .
    thanks again

6. Thank you both so much for advice :)

7. will email it over the weekend. ive left my fob at work so cannot do anything at the moment. Try not to be disheartened after all practice makes perfect. Im in the process of rolling out new planning, Could you not conatct early years we have a really strong link and they are always happy to offer help and support :)

8. Thanks will contact them tomorrow although last time i tried it took a month for a response so they were not my first port of call
    I thought i would try on here first and im glad i did feel better already :)

9. pete72

pete72 New commenter

This blog below is ESSENTIAL! It is brilliant. Some of the earlier postings have ideas and downloads of planning formats.

Hope it of some use

www.abcdoes.typepad.com

10. Thank you pete72 just had a quick look. Looks really good

11. Hi, trawling this forum to get ideas for observaton recording in a nursery setting. Came across your post. I know it is a long time ago. But.......please how do you record spontaneous observations? Trying to get away from post-it notes, too fiddly and have to be stuck somewhere.
    Thanks

12. pete72

pete72 New commenter

I have changed the way I plan this year. As well as Alistairs book From Vacant to Engaged anither good one , which talks alot about spontaneous planning is
    The Reception Year in Action by Anna Ephgrave. SHe talks of observing ( in detail ) three children over a week and then having their parents/carers in the following week. Each child observed 3 times like this during the year. But she has a VERY SIMPLE grid thing for spontaneous planning. I am giving it a go this term .