1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS Planning NOT assessment!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by suffolksmiler, Jul 26, 2012.

1. suffolksmiler

suffolksmiler New commenter

Lots and lots of people are writing threads on here about the new revised EYFS and assessment. Please can someone put up some ideas for planning templates. A few people have very complicated sheets, lots of headings. If planning follows assessment then it needs to be quick and responsive to needs and interests. I do not want to spend ages planning for 6 weeks when the children's EYFS learning needs and interests change. Can anyone suggest / email/ post on resources PLANNING Templates NOT assessment grids for 2012? Really would like some help THANK YOU : )

2. I don't know if the things I've made are anything towards the sort of thing you want, but I have made two planning sheets.
    I am trying to implement some of the suggestions made by Alistair Bryce-Clegg about objective led planning and differentiated continuous provision. By all means I will email them to you. (Not sure I'm ready to upload to resources yet!)
    These would of course be shorter term planning. Haven't decided what medium term planning will look like yet.

3. could you do me a huge favour and email what you have please?

smileytasha@hotmail.co.uk

thank you!

4. Please could you e mail to me?
    dor.thy@ntlworld.com

5. Please could you send them to me too?
    zog471@aol.com
    Thanks

6. could I have a look too please!

meesch@quiche5.freeserve.co.uk

7. Would it be ok if I looked at them too.
    I'll be an nqt in September and have been told by the school to make any changes I need with regards to planning and new eyfs so seeing ideas would be useful!

Amy@dominionstudios.net

8. I have sent them to those who've asked so far. If anyone else wants to look at this planning sheet I have uploaded it to resources here.
    I'd really appreciate feedback, I haven't attempted to fill one in. I know there's stuff I haven't put on it, mostly because I felt there was a lot on it already. With spaces for objectives for CP and specific adult focus, plus acknowledgement that there will be planning for Maths, Phonics and Literacy, I didn't then put on Prime and Specific areas. I thought a MTP might cover that better.

9. suffolksmiler

Hi I noticed that someone else had started a thread -copied it below.

"When we had our training we were shown an example of a weekly planning sheet which incorporated the characteristics of learning on the big screen which wasn't very clear. Does anyone have an example of this which I could look at as it seemed very useful"

I read hyssop-puppy that you are aware of the work of Alistar (ABC does) do you have a plan that links with the above thread. Can you email me, checked my emails and TES inbox but empty, appreciate your help and anyone else who can show what they do. Stephanie30@talktalk.net THANKS EVERYONE please keep sharing your ideas : )

10. lilmomred

lilmomred New commenter

Hi, have you got a link to the planning you mention please? Can't seem to find anything. Thanks very much appreciate the help. [​IMG]

11. Thanks for sharing, it looks good. With the phonics, maths and literacy boxes what detail would you put in there? As my plans for those are quite detailed (not sure if they need to be?) I like the objective led planning bits with the differentiation. I thought we would start that in a couple of areas a week and then build up to more. Thanks again

12. My team wanted the 'who's working with which group' in the phonics, maths, literacy boxes. I didn't think it need that as that would stay the same for blocks of weeks (possibly 3 or more weeks).
    We currently do separate detailed phonics and maths plans, samples of which I've also uploaded to resources if you wanted to see.
    I reckon we may have to devise a literacy version, although I think that may only need a simple idea, eg. sharing a story, shared reading a big book, shared writing, and also possibly sometimes covering other aol's.

13. Well done Hyssop Puppy for taking the time to come up with a proforma and upload it. What does T1, T2 etc refer to?

14. I've put my new planning format in resources too now. Not sure it's totally finished yet, so any feedback would be welcome.

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/EYFS-objective-led-planning-sheet-6265125/

15. T1 top group 1
    T2 top group 2
    M - middle groups 1+2
    B - bottom groups 1+2
    As I said, I didn't think this information need to go on a weekly plan, especially as this information won't change every week, and I didn't really want explicit names for groups on a plan displayed on the wall. I may make an executive decision to take it out.

16. I do quite like this, and it looks like it'd work well.
    We, however will be working with 90 children, with 7 adults, so our planning sheet for this is much simpler. I may upload it although it comes straight from Mr abc, so lots of you may have seen, or be using something very similar.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Continuous-Planning-sheet-6265129/
    I think that's worked!

17. I like yours aswell FSLou thanks for sharing your resources.

18. suffolksmiler

Hee hee - read the above comment. "I like yours too" makes me think of the TV Ad "I like this one but I also like this one." Especially the old lady who prefers Gin to tea bags! On a more serious note it seems as if many of you are Reception teachers, who teach specific skills in sessions for literacy and numeracy. As a nursery teacher I do not plan for subjects but activities / resources to stimulate play. I have looked at the ABC site and am starting to think of column titles. Possibly a skill as theme for the week eg first week: work on trusting relationships and selecting resources. The adults would support play, interact with their key worker children and meet others whilst playing alongside. As they talked they would discover children's interests at home and in the nursery. AT THE END OF THE WEEK A NEW THEME / SKILL. The planning table would list types of continuous play available. In the next column would be how additional resources could be added to the area reflecting interests. The third column will be how adults will support pupils, questions to develop thinking skills / vocabulary to introduce: through this process we will be covering initially the 3 prime areas: talk for communicating needs and ideas, physical development (encouraging independence selecting resources) finally social skills playing alongside peers with shared interests and developing trusting relationships with adults. Not sure what else yet, possibly a column that sets out in each age phase what the skill would look like as it develops. Particular children to focus on. Over time the areas of play / interest will develop into learning skills such as counting 3 objects, 6 or 10. Such as making pretend sweets with play dough, counting food items in role play. A skill is worked at through the children's interests. They select the activity we use our professional skills using differentiated questions / vocabulary to move them onto the next step. IF I put this on resources remember it is a work in progress so do add helpful comments in feedback. Not sure it would work for teachers in Reception BUT you already plan separate literacy/numeracy sessions on another page any way. Do you do this with all subjects - RE Music PE Science etc?

19. Yes, I tried to base mine on an idea from his blog too -

http://abcdoes.typepad.com/abc-does-a-blog/child-initiated-learning/