1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS planning for nursery and reception unit

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sal020183, Feb 26, 2010.

1. I am taking over the role of Early Years Co-ordinator after easter. The Early years at my school is a bit of a mess at the moment. I am looking for some help. Not sure how to plan for nursery and reception combined, with 2 nursery sessions in one day! Any planning examples, ideas and suggestions would be wonderful!! Thank you!!!!!!!!

2. I've got medium and short term planning for nursery and reception which includes adult led and adult guided activities if they would be useful

3. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Im after something similar. our unit is a mess without a doubt.
    please can i also get any offers of help too?

thanks
    samanthahornby@hotmail.com

4. I've sent samples of our planning. Happy to chat if you think it would be useful - where are you?

5. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    can I ask a question ? Do you like working in a unit ? We opened ours in September and I hate it . Its got so bad I've applied for another job after working at the school for 8 years. I am gutted but feel if i carry on like this I will be off on sick . Would be interested to hear positive things about them . Just finding having no automony as a teacher difficult , working with someone who is retired in their head , wild children and MESS everywhere.
    Sorry to orginal poster for hijacking your thread hop eyou get the information you need

Jo x

6. Hi,
    I work in a unit, I was the Reception teacher for a couple of years and am now FS Coordinator. I agree it's hard to keep things on track in a unit, to make sure children are all being supported/stretched when you have a wider age range and to ensure that good quality CI activity is happening rather than just kids running wild. When I got there a while back it was awful, no proper structure, bored children who just ran around the room not really engaging in anything, resources all over the place. It's taken lots of hard work and positivity from the team to turn things around. Here are the things that have made a difference for us:
    <u> Classroom environment</u>
    - resources really clearly labelled, everything has a place and children are trained from day 1 in how to look after their room. It doesn't stop it getting messy but it does mean that things are back to normal after tidy up time!
    - clear areas for each of 6 areas of learning. Our room was a massive hanger-like space. Breaking it up into smaller sections seems to encourage chn to work more manageably.
    - We have 5 members of staff. Each member of staff takes charge of an area every half term (apart from PD which is incorporated into other areas indoors and outdoors). If things need restocking, anything broken, not working etc in their area, they sort it out and tell me if anything needs ordering etc.
    <u>Timetable</u>
    - nursery and reception have their own whole class sessions straight after register in morning and afternoon. One CLL (am) and one PSRN (pm). Small groups of 10 children have targeted CLL and PSRN groups running throughout the morning- effectively every child will get some whole class and some small group CLL and PSRN every day.
    - 20 mins phonics groups are taught later in the morning with KS1- we split into 10 phonics groups across FS and KS1
    - there is a free flow outdoor activity happening each morning.
    - In the afternoon, we have 3 keygroup activities happening which gets the chn' going on something and then they have freeflow- two indoor and one outdoor. The 5 keygroups in the unit rotate around these during the week. It hasn't always been like this but I think you need to provide more structure when there are nearly 60 chn working in one room.
    JO9832 and initial poster, if you jot down yr email addresses I can send you a copy of our timetable if you think it would be helpful??
    I can't say it's easy working in a FS Unit- I often think it would be MUCH simpler working somewhere else with separate classes. I have found the lack of autonomy tricky and have had lots of professional disagreement but still had to get on with the team. But, we have turned the corner and don't spend so much time strung out and trying to deal with crowd control now. We all do get on very well and I guess this helps. It also means that our assessment moderation discussions involve 5 staff rather than just 1/2 which I think is very helpful.
    I'll stop there before I write an essay! xx

7. I took over in Sept, beforehand N and R worked separately which considering they are in the same space was mad. We now work together, we decided on the themes etc and plan separately for Lit, Num and phonics; but for continuous provision and outdoor we plan together. I can send you copies if needed. We completed a plan, I plan my learning intentions according to 40-60 months and the nursery teacher plans according to her needs. We just email backwards and forwards over the weekend.

8. I work in a FS unit & it has taken alot of trial & error but it is working better now we have a very similar set up. My main problem is the noise level (we have 39 ch & 3 members of staff) so trying to do any focused activity is very difficult & there are constant interruptions. We get along as best we can but how I wish we were split into two seperate classes. In the afternoons I teach Reception alone with no support and I do think that they find it difficult to get on with anything adult directed because they want to go off and choose. The year 1 teacher has also noted how ch find it much harder to adapt to y1 having played alongside nursery the year before. I think ch find the different expectations placed on them from FS unit to y1 too much & would benefit from a middle ground classroom.

9. JO9832 and initial poster, if you jot down yr email addresses I can send you a copy of our timetable if you think it would be helpful??

Hi,
    I work in a unit, I was the Reception teacher for a couple of years and am now FS Coordinator. I agree it's hard to keep things on track in a unit, to make sure children are all being supported/stretched when you have a wider age range and to ensure that good quality CI activity is happening rather than just kids running wild. When I got there a while back it was awful, no proper structure, bored children who just ran around the room not really engaging in anything, resources all over the place. It's taken lots of hard work and positivity from the team to turn things around. Here are the things that have made a difference for us:
    <u> Classroom environment</u>
    - resources really clearly labelled, everything has a place and children are trained from day 1 in how to look after their room. It doesn't stop it getting messy but it does mean that things are back to normal after tidy up time!
    - clear areas for each of 6 areas of learning. Our room was a massive hanger-like space. Breaking it up into smaller sections seems to encourage chn to work more manageably.
    - We have 5 members of staff. Each member of staff takes charge of an area every half term (apart from PD which is incorporated into other areas indoors and outdoors). If things need restocking, anything broken, not working etc in their area, they sort it out and tell me if anything needs ordering etc.
    <u>Timetable</u>
    - nursery and reception have their own whole class sessions straight after register in morning and afternoon. One CLL (am) and one PSRN (pm). Small groups of 10 children have targeted CLL and PSRN groups running throughout the morning- effectively every child will get some whole class and some small group CLL and PSRN every day.
    - 20 mins phonics groups are taught later in the morning with KS1- we split into 10 phonics groups across FS and KS1
    - there is a free flow outdoor activity happening each morning.
    - In the afternoon, we have 3 keygroup activities happening which gets the chn' going on something and then they have freeflow- two indoor and one outdoor. The 5 keygroups in the unit rotate around these during the week. It hasn't always been like this but I think you need to provide more structure when there are nearly 60 chn working in one room.
    JO9832 and initial poster, if you jot down yr email addresses I can send you a copy of our timetable if you think it would be helpful??
    I can't say it's easy working in a FS Unit- I often think it would be MUCH simpler working somewhere else with separate classes. I have found the lack of autonomy tricky and have had lots of professional disagreement but still had to get on with the team. But, we have turned the corner and don't spend so much time strung out and trying to deal with crowd control now. We all do get on very well and I guess this helps. It also means that our assessment moderation discussions involve 5 staff rather than just 1/2 which I think is very helpful.
    I'll stop there before I write an essay! xx

Hi, I'm currently working in our newly set up unit which inckudes nursery, reception and year 1! we are getting there slowly nand i think tis starting to work. the co-ordimators job has come up and i am considering applying for it. could i be cheeky and ask you to email me your timetable as this is one area i don't feel we've got totally cracked yet
    Thanks

10. Would probably help if i gave you my email!!!
    kate. luther@ yahoo. co. uk
    thanks

11. Hi
    We have been working as a unit for 3 years now and agree that there are many challenges, particuarly the noise and the mess! Also it can be tricky working with a larger staff team who many have different ideas about how things should be - lots of team work needed. Although I found we were being so democratic that sometimes nothing was decided so as the EYFS lead am making more decisions myself, floowing discussions with team.
    If I was totaly honest would prefer to work in my own calssroom, own space etc. However I think the there are many benefits to the children of working in this way - not least of which is the incraesed space and the availabilty of continuous outdoor provision. Also our FSP scores have increased steadily each year.
    Luckily our Y1 already works in an EYFS friendly manner so the children tend to make a smooth transition.

12. teeny8

teeny8 New commenter

Hi,
    Sorry to hijack the thread as well. But we currently run Nursery and Reception separately but are looking to set up a FS Unit, possibly in September but definitely in the next 2yrs as we're having a rebuild.
    It's been interesting reading different views and pros/cons and I would also appreciate any help / ideas or examples of timetables or plans, as it seems there's going to be a lot to think about/get my head around!
    Thanks
    teenyla@hotmail.com

13. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

14. I would also bee very interested in looking at planning and timetables. Please could you e-mail me any examples? My e-mail address is ruthhhatcher@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks

15. Im working in a FSU at the minute and finding it hard to adjust after having my own classroom
    I would be very grateful of any plans or timetables
    Many thanks
    shootingstarXXxx@aol.com

16. My nursery is just in the process of being knocked through into Reception so any halpful hints, tips or timetables about running a unit would be much appreciated. We are also dividing the space into zones, with most of the creative options and role play being on the nursery side. The shared area between the classes is now a mini computer suite which will have room for at least 4 computers. Really exciting but loads of hard work ahead-bring it on!! Oh and my e-mail is juliaradwell@btinternet.com.
    Thanks in advance x

17. Hello,

My nursery and reception classes are combining and I'm having a panic! I'm not sure how to plan for both classes. If anyone could help and send me planning that would be fabulous. Thank you.

Hanmackinder@gmail.com

18. Amaani786

Amaani786 New commenter

Hello,

I would be grateful for any advice regarding working as a unit. As from September my nursery and reception class will be working as a Foundation stage unit. It would be great if anyone can forward some planning.

Much Appreciated.

Manimasteriza@hotmail.co.uk

19. Amaani786

Amaani786 New commenter

If anyone has a timetable to support the everyday routine and subjects taught would be fabulous.

Thanks.

20. emmacullis

emmacullis New commenter

We May possibly combine reception and nursery. Any advice on how you stretch your reception as we use white rose maths or any timetables on how it works ?
    We will have two classrooms and an indoor outdoor area.
    Email emmacullis321@gmail.com