1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS parents evening

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Ucan2, Jul 2, 2012.

1. I was thinking of changing our parents eve from the traditional 10 mins each to having a tea party in the classroom with the children hosting and introducing. Just wondered what other schools do and what you find works well?

2. I was thinking of changing our parents eve from the traditional 10 mins each to having a tea party in the classroom with the children hosting and introducing. Just wondered what other schools do and what you find works well?

3. We also have the traditional 10 minutes meetings. Love your idea though, sounds fab!

4. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

We have drop in sessions rather appointments although parents can make an appointment if they want. It worked ok but pretty much every parent would have been better off having an appointment, I ended up having 5-10 minute chat with them and some parents were waiting a while for me to be free. Suppose it depends what your parents are like but a tea party sounds lovely!

5. We've done both in the setting I work in - parents have appointments over a whole inset day (its a big unit!) - though not all parents turn up in their slot - as well as open afternoons roughly once a term. The appointment days run alongside the whole school's 'assertive mentoring' format, and the open half days work on a 'stay and play' basis, with children showing parents around, maybe serving juice, maybe some special activities (eg we just did fathers day icing biscuits). The latter is less a consultation, more an opportunity for parents to see whats going on, see how their child operates in the setting, meet their child's friends, etc on an informal basis.