1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS organisation

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by susbo, Mar 28, 2016.

1. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi
    I would be interested to know how you plan and carry out your activities for term 3 in an EYFS classroom. I need to have more structure this term and are not sure how to go about it with continual free flow going on inside and outside. I have one TA so this means that one of us needs to be outside at all times. How do I now add structure by carrying out focused 'sitting down' reading, writing and maths activities in preparation for year 1? My children have been used to free flow and not sitting at a table so many lack concentration skills too; whilst I sit with them I know I shall be continually interrupted.
    I would be grateful for as much help and advice as you can give.
    Thank you
    SB

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It would have been better if you'd posted this in the 'Early Years' section of the forums. This section ('Welcome lounge and forum help') is for people to introduce themselves and/or ask general questions about how the forums work).

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If your children are not used to sitting at a table to do any activities, perhaps this is somewhere you could start. Set up fun activities at tables around the classroom and see who is interested in having a go. Activities that have a clear end point (like board games, jigsaw puzzles, making a given word using magnetic letters) are good, as you can encourage the children to keep concentrating until the task is completed. They are also simple enough that, once you've explained the basic task, the children don't need that much help from you to get on with it, so if you need to speak to another child, the activity isn't disrupted.

You might consider closing the outdoor area for a short period of time, so that your TA can supervise the children while you can work with a small group for 15 minutes.

Another thing you could try is to wear a special hat that means the children aren't allowed to disturb you when you are wearing it. You could explain that if they need something when you are wearing it, they must go and find Mrs TA or wait until you are not wearing it any more.