1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS observation timetable!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by miniones, Jun 12, 2019.

1. miniones

miniones New commenter

I was just wondering if anyone has developed a 'timetable' to target observations for the 7 areas of learning, to ensure they are completed! I have had simple tick sheets before now, but I am really after something more specific to cover the areas of a term! I wondered if anyone had broken down the areas of learning to focus more on the 17 parts!!?...

I would be most grateful, if anyone was able to share ideas that work and that would be clear enough for other staff to understand what it is they are targeting!!

Thanks in advance.

nizebaby likes this.
  2. We do objective led planning and it breaks it into 24 areas so that is 2 a week over a 12 week term.

3. miniones

miniones New commenter

I am intrigued to know what that looks like! How does it get split into 24 areas?!...Do you have a sample you could share?
    With thanks!

4. Jacilstroud

Jacilstroud New commenter

I've used an observation tracker for children which covers all the areas, it's just a simple grid covering all the areas of learning and development in each child's learning journal. You can then observe children holistically which is how they are learning and I can then see easily if there are any gaps. When I can see a pattern of gaps, I just then plan for the next couple of weeks to focus.

5. robspillane

robspillane New commenter

It's about quality, not quantity. Whatever your quotas are from above you, keep that in mind. We get so bogged down in early years thinking you need a certain amount. Make it authentic because if its forced, its not an accurate representation of what a child can do.

6. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

We use the feature on Interactive Learning Diary which shows each child and each area and which obs we have done. I print this off each Monday and highlight the children and areas we need to focus on that week. Obviously this is not to the exclusion of all others but it makes you aware of those children. If you use an online observation tool check if it does the same for you.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I wonder if Tapestry does something similar...
    I know they do, but not in an easy to see format.

8. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

ILD is all on one a4 page and just has the children down one side and all areas across the top then a column for the last observation date.

9. katemoloney1

katemoloney1 New commenter

We use classroom monitor, but I also use a tracker that I download from ******. Very helpful resources there too for early years.