1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS Objective led planning query!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by emmaryalls, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Hello! I Have just finished my NQT in year 1 but in September I am moving to reception. I have got a little bit of experience in a reception class when I was doing supply shortly after I qualified but I still feel quite worried and overwhelmed. My head wants me to do objective led planning (Alistair Bryce Clegg) I think the idea of it sounds brilliant but I am quite worried that it could turn into chaos if it wasn't delivered properly. I feel like my brain can't focus! Can anyone give any hints/tips and maybe a objective led planning sheet template! I want to start off doing 'All about me' as a topic in September. When would it be preferable to start phonics etc? Thanks in advance!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I don't know much about objective led planning, so I'll leave that question for somebody else to answer. Phonics, on the other hand, is more my thing.

Phonics should start on the first day, but that's not to say you should start teaching the letter sounds straight away. You should make sure that the children have plenty of opportunities to practice listening to sounds and doing 'sound awareness' games/activities - often referred to as "Phase 1" (from the DfES publication 'Letters and Sounds', which is worth googling as it includes lots of ideas). The point is that the children need to be able to hear the sound /s/ in words before it's any use to them to know that this particular squiggle makes the sound /s/. Obviously many children will come to you already being able to distinguish between different sounds, but not all children will, and if you start off with listening games then you'll quickly pick up which children will need extra support in this area. Then you can get started with letter sounds, and keep including lots of listening activities within your phonics sessions as well, as it's good for the all the children to keep practising their listening skills.

3. OLP is something we have been trialling from January (half-heartedly) and want to implement properly from sep. I don't have a planning sheet - I think this will evolve over the year, and when I do mine it will be based on four columns. 1. group the children, 2. what they can do, 3. where you want them to go, 4. column for observation/notes. The main thing to remember is that you are not teaching by bringing them to you in small groups anymore. You are moving to them and teaching. It's very spontaneous, creative and completely goes with the children. Really good when it works. Everyone needs to be on board, which is probably the biggest challenge at my school as everyone is so used to do it the traditional way!

Pick two or three objectives per week and take your time ensuring everyone meets those objectives according to their ability. Make sure you have a way of tracking which objectives you have covered.

Hope that is helpful!

I am still very new to this and would be really interested in seeing what others do! ABCdoes.com has an awful lot of information on it.