1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS Moderation HELP!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Megg19, May 23, 2016.

1. Megg19

Megg19 New commenter

Hi all!

I'm being moderated after the half term holidays and being an NQT, I am feeling very stressed/overwhelmed about the whole situation.

I was hoping that some people could maybe share some of their own experiences to help give me an idea of what to expect during an EYFS LA moderation and whether or not I can be failed/ the outcome will affect my NQT year?

Thanks for reading,
    Megan :) x

2. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Moderation is just a platform for you to show you know your children and their work - don't worry - I've been through it loads of times and have always found the process to be supportive. They'll have a look at your data then pick some children's names and you'll bring their work to the meeting - you won't know which children until just before the meeting, so have your filing up to date and be confident that your data is supported by the children's work (or, should that be, that the children's work supports your data!).
    Above all, be confident - if you can speak into why you have decided one child is expected and another not quite, then show a couple of examples in the child's work, the moderators will believe you. (Don't forget, moderators are normally just other teachers - they're not out to get you.) Spend a moment reading through the standards and exemplification. Know really clearly what a child needs to show in order to get to expected (or exceeding). No, you can't fail your NQT year based on this. But what might happen is that, if the moderators feel you are a bit wide of the mark on the children they chose, they will ask to see work from other children (and that would be really annoying).
    It might help to make a little crib sheet for the meeting with bullet points outlining what children should have shown to get to the level you have given them.
    And don't forget, if you are going to be moderated at all, this is the best year for it: we have all spent the year working in the dark without levels or guidance or exemplification, and your visitors WILL take this into account.
    Honestly, you'll be fine.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Firstly, don't be stressed! Having been through this on several occasions in different guises I can say that it is a very positive experience in as much as it can be...

They just want to know that your judgements are in line with those nationally and locally. Have you done some in school moderation, or moderation with other schools locally? That will give you an idea that your judgements are sound.

A lot of what you know about your children will be in your head, some will be in learning journeys, some on jottings. It's all there...somewhere.

You will possibly be asked to show around your classroom so they get a feel for what your provision is like. They will talk about each ELG and evidence for one child for that ELG, possibly asking questions to ensure that you have considered that the child may be above or below what you think. They are NOT trying to catch you out so be confident. You know your children, they don't. They will also ask you about the COEL as they are very important.

I actually had some of my judgements raised as I do tend to be stringent. It was very supportive and gives you a chance to blow your, and your children's, trumpets!

As for the outcome affecting your NQT year, I would think almost certainly not as you should have been told if you are in anyway needing support before this point in the year.

Think of it as a chance to tell everyone how fab a job you do.

4. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Just read that I am on the EY forum, so of course that last bit about not knowing levels doesn't make any sense.
    Instead, look through the EY exemplification and understand thoroughly what children need to show in order to get to the ELG. Read Development Matters ahead of the meeting. The moderation process for KS1/2 and EYs is exactly the same - make sure your journals are up to date, that you have, for example, some recent independent writing, reading and maths work; and that you are clear on what children need to be doing in order to get the ELG. I have actually always found moderation easier in Reception than KS1 - it usually ends up as a lovely chat about each child with me finding quick examples in their work to back up what I am saying.
    The law of sod is that the moderators always manage to avoid the children you really want to talk about, so expect this!
    But, as above, don't worry at all about the process - they are there to check you are on the right path and guide you if they feel you are not.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  5. Megg19

Megg19 New commenter

Thank you so much for your comment!

I haven't had any in school support for moderation just given time out from staff meetings last week and this week to get organised. I have been to an information afternoon at our Local Authority and the agreement trialling afternoon, also organised by the LA, which both at the time seemed to help, especially when talking to other more experienced teachers; however whenever I got back to school, I started to panic as I felt like I don't have enough evidence for some of the areas.

I am really proud of my class, and I know the majority will meet the goals with a handful or so exceeding; I just don't want to let them down at this point by not having enough evidence to support my judgements.

I think in some cases, I have been 'harsh' with some of the marks I have given so fingers crossed they raise them at least a little anyway.

I've been doing really well this year in my NQT year, I think that I underestimated how quick this year would fly in and can't believe it's nearly over and that's why I'm panicking; I just don't want to fall so close to the end.

Camokidmommy likes this.
  6. Megg19

Megg19 New commenter

Thank you for your comment, I really appreciate the advice!

Thankfully, my head teacher has given me time out from staff meetings the past couple of weeks as well as my NQT and PPA time to get everything up to date in the children's books, Learning Journals, etc.

My school only has one Reception class, so I have found it tricky to not have someone to bounce ideas off; especially as the previous post holder had been the Early Years Lead for years so none of the other teachers in the school felt like they had enough knowledge to support me. However having read your comments, I feel like I should use this as a positive experience and a learning curve for me.

I think the best thing for me to do now is to use the next two weeks off school for half term to calm down and read up as much as possible for background knowledge. I'm going to take your advice though and look on this as a positive experience and learning curve so that if and when I am moderated in the future, I am less of a worrier and much more confident.

Thanks for your help :)

Camokidmommy likes this.
  7. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Had mine last week and it was so supportive. Main focus was PSE and writing. Chose 5 children a cross sample. Asked me there background etc and their CoEL. Shared their learning journeys and talked about them and it was a lovely experience as after it all yes a few areas where perhaps needed evidence but she knew that I knew my children inside out back to front so was supportive and no issues. Only thing was because writing was a main focus it was very apparent the moderator was carefully looking at CI writing and not AD writing. I stressed at the start that my judgements were only done on CI. Make sure you check against the exemplification materials as if a professional discussion arises which it did with me I referred to these as did she. Teacher judgement as well. Also it's moderation. I though been teaching for 20 years plus first time moderated.
    It will be fantastic.

Megg19 likes this.