1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS Maths - Numberblocks?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gillv015, Sep 28, 2019.

1. gillv015

gillv015 New commenter

Our infant school have recently begun teaching maths using the White Rose scheme for KS1 and our Maths lead has asked us in Reception to start teaching using the Numberblocks episodes.
    I am looking for some advice as to how other schools use Numberblocks to teach maths in Reception. We have been asked to teach one number a week, and as much as I understand the need to develop mastery and reasoning skills, this seems incredibly slow. I’m concerned that this will only get us to number 10 by Christmas and there is a lot more the children need to learn! How do other schools do it?
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

There are some things I like about number blocks like the little rhymes are showing how numbers are made up of other numbers, but I do also have a problem with teaching each number in isolation and especially the notion of " counting to one". Personally I think children need to learn counting as a sequence and that's why counting songs that go to 3 or 5 are so important. But that's just me, I know others might have a different view.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If your school are using WR for KS1, why don't you use WR in Reception? They have just published new schemes for this term which follow the number a week idea, as well as covering the curriculum.
    The number a week, builds up counting as it goes and WR starts with a week or so on 1,2,3 and then a week on 4 and one on 5, then a whole lot of consolidation and more/less etc.
    There is an excellent FB group for White Rose - Reception and lots of discussion on there.

NCETM have some teaching power points to go with each number block episode and they link quite nicely to the WR plans. Lots of people seem to be using WR and numberblocks in tandem with success.

4. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

The reception class I’m in as a trainee use number blocks to support maths teaching and we do one number a week where we focus on everything about that number. The trouble is, when they get to year one and are doing mastery through inspire maths, it’s such a massive jump they find it tricky.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It shouldn't be. Reception will be working towards ELGs which are definitely not far below year 1 in maths. However they get there, the maths shouldn't be a jump.

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I'd ask for CPD where you can visit and observe it in action so you can take some ideas back to your classroom and have a bit of a clearer idea of how it works. I teach everything in a bespoke manner, drawing on different influences and taking the best from different places. My reasoning is that my children are all different and at different levels so I challenge them accordingly.

7. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

By teaching one number a week you can really address and unpick any misconceptions which will help with place value, which is at the route of so much when you move higher up the school. Number blocks is not just about reciting numbers (which a lot of people mean when they say counting). It is about actually understanding what one is, how to represent the number one in different ways - for example a surprising number of my class were not able to distinguish the hoop with one object in from the hoop with more than one object, showing they needed more help to become secure with number. If I had simply asked them to count the one object or identify the number one in would not have spotted this so a group of children might have looked as though they were secure but could have come a cropper later on.