1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS Live Teaching During Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Littleme1984, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Littleme1984

Littleme1984 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I am just gathering peoples thoughts and ideas on Live EYFS Teaching.

My School has asked me to implement this with my team. Although no other schools I or my team have contacted are doing this, as in theory its almost impossible to do for EYFS, due to the nature of how they learn.

They have all sent packs home and communicate through tapestry with small daily tasks or Dojo and place videos of story reading etc.

Can I ask what other schools are doing?

We are worried as we are working from home, The technology is not great and we have limited access to resources etc, it looks like we are possibly expected to carry this on for three months five days a week two 30 min slots a day. Being maths and Phonics or English

We have expressed concerns over this method and have been told "If no one has tried it how do you know it will not work"

We have possibly enough resources to last a couple of weeks.

Any help or support that I can take to higher powers would be extremely beneficial.

Thanks in advance.

2. chickenpatter1

chickenpatter1 New commenter

I'm in nursery, and sent home a pack containing some cubes, crayons, colouring sheets, pencil control sheets etc. I post 4 activities a day on dojo, 1 literacy, 1 maths, 1 topic and 1 play idea. I post them the night before,ready for the following morning. I have about 10 days of resources but after this I am stumped. I have no idea what resources the children have at home, and as all our learning is all practical I am really struggling to know what to do for the next few months. I also record a video story every evening. Participation has dropped over the last week, so I am trying to make it more interesting, but its difficult with limited resources.

Littleme1984 likes this.
  3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Sounds like you have leaders who are clueless about EYFS. I have recorded live videos and sent them but wouldn't want children sitting in front of a computer just to watch them.
    The way I do them, I can read a story, impart information or 'teach' a lesson and they can watch it in comfort and at a time which is good for them. And then I set them some kind of task, challenge, activity. It is not a worksheet. It might be collecting some information, creating something or something else creative and active.
    When I am telling the children, I often add extra information for parents to give them a guide on how to support their child in the activity otherwise they don't know how to facilitate their learning - they just do it for them.

So I may go back to them with recorded lessons rather than live lessons. This would be the best of both world and also the children love to see your face and hear your voice as it is then communicating with you, rather than their parents through an email.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We are doing live lessons, similar to what you describe.
    Playing 'Simon Says' and similar work well
    Reading a story also works
    Making a snack together (post the night before what will be needed and make sure it is basic so people actually have it in the house).
    A normal phonics lesson can work if you have the flashcards at home and some large paper or wb to write on.

Quite a number of schools are doing this in EYFS and sharing ideas all over FB.

5. Littleme1984

Thanks for the info, I dont use FB unfortuently but i could reactivate it.

Personally I am super against it for EYFS, But ill do what the higher powers tell me to. The Phonics we are fine with but as we are not allowed in School we will also run out of resources in a few weeks.

I am all for the videos on posting about how to make a snack etc, lets do a drawing. But that will not be enough for our parents. We are also doing live stories and placing them on Class Dojo for later viewing.

6. Littleme1984

This is one of the downsides in teaching at a School where the directors are clueless. I am getting some support from the principal, but this is now pushing my team to the edge.

We were doing the lessons as you described and then placing them on Dojo, which we were fine with and the parents could access when wanted. Now we are teaching live through teams, which is not suitable at all for this you can only see four children at a time (if that works) and each time a child makes a noise or shouts out it cuts the other person from the screen.

It is really hard to be positive about this, when its a disaster.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You and almost every other EYFS teacher in the world at the moment!

Unfortunately telling parents (who pay for their child to be 'educated') that they should just their child play isn't deemed acceptable. And as the main purpose of education in EYFS (certainly in my year group, nursery) is to teach children who to share a space with other people their own age, there actually isn't really a job to do at the moment.

It's hideous, but hopefully fairly temporary.

Kartoshka and Littleme1984 like this.
  8. We are doing online videos for our school website each day . As a team of three (nursery)we are doing two phonic activities a week each as well as literacy and maths based around a story each week .
    We've asked parents to get the children to draw pictures to send into us or videos .
    Not the easiest way of working . Not EYFS but what can you do.