1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS lesson planning for nursery class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by charlied_04, Aug 5, 2011.

1. I have recently got the possition as Nursery teacher for a small pre-school, it is the first time that i will be teaching 3 year old and under the EYFS curriculum.
    I need help/ advise from anyone who can give it about lesson planning and themes to focus around.
    I have three weeks until school starts and already i am stressing over me lesson plans, I am concerned that i am not going to hit all the EYFS goals and aims.
    Any lesson plans that you can suggest for me to look at as guide lines medium or longer term would be happilly recieved.
    Thank you in advance
    C

2. I have recently got the possition as Nursery teacher for a small pre-school, it is the first time that i will be teaching 3 year old and under the EYFS curriculum.
    I need help/ advise from anyone who can give it about lesson planning and themes to focus around.
    I have three weeks until school starts and already i am stressing over me lesson plans, I am concerned that i am not going to hit all the EYFS goals and aims.
    Any lesson plans that you can suggest for me to look at as guide lines medium or longer term would be happilly recieved.
    Thank you in advance
    C

3. I take it you havent worked in a nursery before? Firstly you need to get away from the idea of lesson planning. You are going to be led much more by the children than at other ages. I will have a very general settling in plan at the start of the year. This will be about getting to know the children and helping them to get used to the environment. We plan on a daily basis according to how the previous day has gone. We will use children's interests to guide us, extending or repeating activities. Once I feel the children have settled, we will begin to introduce a plan around an area of interest that several children might be showing such as minibeasts, dinosaurs, babies etc. We may have a few of these running at the same time. We will also plan through our observations of the children, where we feel they need help or have just begun to develop a new skill. Remember that the Early learning goals are meant to be achieved at the end of the reception year. You need to be focusing, especially at this time of year around 22 36 months and 30 50 months. Remember as well that the EYFS is a guidance not a curriculum. Don't let it limit what you do. You should be focused on the individual needs of your children and how to help each of them progress. This should be through free flow play both inside and outside; with adults sensitively extending their learning through both child initiated and adult initiated activities. I would suggest you read any literature by Margary Ouvry, Margaret Edginton Tina Bruce, Linda Pound; British association for early chillhood and loads of others cannot remember their names at the moment!

4. Thank you for your reply! I think you might have just saved me alot of hours and stress over planning. You guessed right, this will be my first time working in a nursery! I think that I have been over thinking and over planning a little, I am just very scared of starting the year unprepared and getting caught out or finding my self with nothing productive to do with the children.
    I completely understand that the children will often take activities in thier own direction depending on what they prefer and have been planning with this in mind. Also that activiites or plans will change according to my observations through out each day.
    The only area I am a little worried about is the adaption week at the beginning of term, i can not find many good games / activities to do with them to help them settle into the new class room environment.
    Could you possibly recommend a few games or activities that you use during these first few week that you know to work well!?
    Thank you, I will also look up some of the books that you have suggested.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. Thank you Msz!!! there are alot of great ideas there!!!

7. hurny

hurny New commenter

I am just browsing the EYFS CD and have found examples of nursery planning formats on there. Do you have the CD?

8. No, i was given an old copy of the EYFS handbook that had already passed through the two teachers before me, so i am guessing that the CD got lost along the way!
    Do you know if there is anyway that i can get hold of a copy of the CD online?

9. hurny

hurny New commenter

I could send you the documents via email if you send me a PM with your email address.

10. Thank you, it would be amazing to have those documents.
    I have sent you a PM with my email address!!

11. I have a spare CDrom if you would like a copy if you email me I will happily send it to you as I am now semi retired and no longer need it!
    patdewar50@gmail.com

12. Thank you for your offer, but I have just received the EYFS files: Nursery planning, planning for 2year olds and planning for 3-4 year olds from hurny.
    If you have any other planning guides or theme plans that you feel work well then i would be more than happy to see them!
    Thank you

13. Hi there,
    I was just wondering if I could possily get copies too? Im a qualified speech and language therapist in the UK, but Im now working in a nursery in Spain, so would love to get hold of these documents and ahy useful ideas!
    Will look forward to hearing from you!
    Thanks s much!

14. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

I think as well that you will need to find out what is expected of you. It's all very well, wth the advice that with the eyfs weekly planning or medium term is not needed and you can plan daily to meet the needs etc.. but .. what about if your head teacher or others are asking for the planning? Wether or not it is required or not, if they want it then it must be done. I peronally like my planning as it allows for the areas to be set up and provided for. I dont have any time to do day by day planning and we set up for the next day whilst a whole class activity is taking place at the end of the day, ready for the morning. I do however plan on interests if this interest is going to be enjoyed and stimulate the whole class. Needs are also met through whatever activities I do regardless of topic. I think it is good to also remember that you will have some brilliant ideas and new topics for the children to develop new interests.
    Planning.. I tend to plan through stories, if your new to nursery then this will prob support you. choose a story and think of all the activities you can do relating to it.. theres a fab book, planning through stories by Belair.. good luck

15. hi!
    would you pleasse send to me a copy of the EYFS files: Nursery planning, planning for 2year olds and planning for 3-4 year olds from hurny as I am also new...many thanks

16. Hi all! I am a year 1 teacher in an international school in Spain. I have been asked to cover the nursery class for the next term (or 2 lol). I would appreciate a copy of the EYFS files: Nursery planning, planning for 2 year olds and planning for 3-4 year olds if anyone could forward a copy to me. Thank you!!!!

17. Hiya can i also please be sent the planning documents! Im a nursery nqt! Thanks

n_sultani@hotmail.co.uk

18. chocoholic1

chocoholic1 New commenter

HI, I hate to drag up an old thread asking for documents, but I am just about to start a new job, and want to review the way they do the planning. Is it possible for someone to send me a copy of the above documents? Thank you.

19. Hi can i also please be sent planning documents - pgce nursery placement and future nursery teacher - any help appreciated as failed last placement on pgce so this last placement i must pass...