1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS Learning Journey Scrapbook

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by emily80, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Am new to the Foundation Stage and as a school we would like to put together somekind of scrapbook that shows the children's learning journey. The only problem now is knowing where to start. I don't want to recreate something if someone has something they wouldn't mind sharing. We think we want to include observations as well as info about each of the 6 areas, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Wondered if anyone has anything we might find useful or photo's of one's they've created in the past?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Am new to the Foundation Stage and as a school we would like to put together somekind of scrapbook that shows the children's learning journey. The only problem now is knowing where to start. I don't want to recreate something if someone has something they wouldn't mind sharing. We think we want to include observations as well as info about each of the 6 areas, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Wondered if anyone has anything we might find useful or photo's of one's they've created in the past?
    Thanks in advance!

3. This is how I do my learning diaries. I have a plain paged A4 book with 'X's learning diary' and their photo on the front then each term I put it any long obs, post it note ob, photos, samples of work (eg writing they have done in child initiated activities etc). I divide it by term (some people do by area but I find so many obs cover multiple areas of learning that term is easier and allows me to think more in terms of their overall progress)and from this year I plan to have a page at the end of each term summarising their acheivements/prgress and next steps in each area. My EYAT has also suggested that for my R chn I include printed pages from the eyeprofile showing their scores and progress in each area.
    I have heard some people suggest that a folder of some kind is easier - that way you can print out sheets of photos, hole punch and add but despite the extra work I like the way mine are done!

4. I do the same but I also send home a home learning journey book each Friday and the parents contribute - things they have done together, responses to stories (the child draws a picture), photos they take on days out etc. I also send home a practical maths challenge card and parents do the activity with their child and the parents note down children's responses and their understanding. Just a way of involving the parents and they really like it. Helps with the profile too.

5. Our children each have a slightly larger than A4 scrapbook, into which we put obs on post its, photos and occasional pieces of work produced by children on paper. In the past I've done these split 6 ways, but the team has decided this year to do it by term as the EYFS does not really wish for the 6 areas of learning to be separate from one another. In the front of the books there are 3 labelled pages in which to put the child's drawing of themself at the beginning of each long term to show the progression; I also get them to write their name on this.

6. Sazzle22

Sazzle22 New commenter

Hi Minxy - I'm really interested in the practical maths challenge cards you mentioned. Could you shed a bit more light on them for me please? I'm desperate to find ways to involve the parents - this sounds like a great idea.

Thanks

7. I got the challenge cards off the resouce area - they are really good - someone spent a long time on them!

8. hiya
    we have a folder for each child that is filled with photos, samples of work and anything else they want to put in it! We scribe the children's comments on each page, they make their own written comments too, and they can revisit pages to add more remembered detail as the year progresses. Parents can take the folders home whenever they want to or bring in things they want to add. we have,as someone else suggested, three self portraits done one a term to show progression, as well as print outs from computer activities. at the end of the year we add a report on each area of curricuum, it needs to be something that the children can access themselves and that parents can participate in as well. the parents love them as do the children....and they liked binding them at the end of the year too!!!! good luck with yours x