1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eyfs/ks1 mental and oral maths starters. help please and ta.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by baybeeaimee, May 31, 2008.

1. does anyone have any ideas? would really appreciate it. thank you. x

2. Hi, here are some I use:
    Brain gym ideas - crossing hands over body to touch shoulders, ears, hips etc whilst counting in 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s. Also giving them a number to count from and to (see how many forget to stop!)
    Clapping and counting with a partner.
    With talking partners: Ways of making 5 and then 10, adding up their ages, number of letters in their names, how many eyes, ears, fingers altogether etc.
    Counting snake when children are in a line: forwards, backwards in 1s, 2s etc
    Doubles: chanting then quick testing
    Number bonds to 5 and 10 (and now 20)
    Number card games: For example I have a number and it is...one more than 9, 2 less than 4 etc. We often have a competition to see if they can get more right in a certain time (use timer on IWB to make it really exciting)
    Use laminated + - and = symbols on card and make calculations using childrenn stood in front of class. Eg 2 children + 2 children = ? A child chooses number card with correct number on it.
    Flip flap cards. There are 10 on this card, you can see 5, how many can I see?
    Hope these are some help.
    Lily

3. Lilyput, those are great ideas, thanks for sharing.

I often use IWB online games as starters. (Rainforest Maths, Topmarks, www.vale-inf.sch.gg/maths.htm )

What about 'guess my number' game. Draw a no. line on board (with only beg and end no.s eg 1 and 10 or 10 and 30) then children guess what number you are thinking of, according to your clues eg.its more than 6/less than 10/an odd/even number etc. then fill in numbers on line so chn can keep track of what no.s have been said.

or fruit salad game...chn given no. cards, sit in a circle then swap places according to instructions eg. if your number is more than 10 swap places.

what about 'double trouble' to help chn understand the concept of doubling, give chn a no. card each, they have to find the person with matching number then add both no.s together. (could do this with number bonds to 10/20...find the person with the no that makes 10 whe added to your no.)

izipink

4. thanks ever so much everyone.x