1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS key docs.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cbdcbdcbd, Sep 26, 2019.

1. cbdcbdcbd

cbdcbdcbd New commenter

Hello
    I’ve been thrown into a eyfs leaders role within a school with no handover and v.little support (but thats for another day) and I am desperately trying to sort a file out for myself (I know this is not necessary but I feel I need it personally to clarify the role). I want to collate all the key statutory documents relevant for eyfs leader in a school but am becoming muddled with the new ofsted publications etc. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of any up to date list of key relevent docs that I need to know (I have development matters which i know isn't statutory but is v.useful).

Additionally, I am hearing conflicting things about what happens in an inspection now. I believe eyfs previously used to get its own judgement. Is this still the case? I’ve read that it now comes under the whole school judgement but I am not 100%.

I would be really grateful for any pointers.

Thank you.

2. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

P77 of the schools inspection handbook sets out how EY is inspected. I would be concerned if you weren’t already familiar with eyfs, early years outcomes, including the impending changes. Lots of people still use development matters as it’s a bit more meaty but they also understand how that relates to later updates.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Eyfs does still have its own section, get the latest inspection handbook and see the grade descriptors for early years, there's quite an emphasis on teaching synthetic phonics.
    Check out the foundation years website, and make sure you have the most recent EYFS statutory framework (2017).
    Inspecting safeguarding.. probably more for your designated lead but you should at least be familiar with it ( along with working together to safeguard children).

For reception, get the latest profile handbook, and see if your LA run any courses. Ours still runs New to EYFS and new to EYFSP courses. What year group are you teaching?

That should give you a good start.