1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS interview lesson - Subtraction!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sanchez, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am a KS1&2 trained teacher, last having taught Year 1 four years ago....but have an interview for Reception in April.
    Needless to say I am pertified. I am reading up on EYFS and PSRN but have no clue what to do for a lesson. The topic is Space, so I'm sure there is lots of fun to be had.
    There are 21 children of mixed ability working towards Level 1 and there are two scale point 9 for PSRN (level 1C).
    I will be given lower, middle and higher group list on the day.
    There are 3 tables and an outside area I can use with an extra surface. They have most of the resources you would expect to find in a class and an IWB.
    If any one can suggest a lesson template that would be great. I thought of getting trays (Ppanets) and having the children 'take away' rockets from them.
    Help..please!

2. Hello,
    I am a KS1&2 trained teacher, last having taught Year 1 four years ago....but have an interview for Reception in April.
    Needless to say I am pertified. I am reading up on EYFS and PSRN but have no clue what to do for a lesson. The topic is Space, so I'm sure there is lots of fun to be had.
    There are 21 children of mixed ability working towards Level 1 and there are two scale point 9 for PSRN (level 1C).
    I will be given lower, middle and higher group list on the day.
    There are 3 tables and an outside area I can use with an extra surface. They have most of the resources you would expect to find in a class and an IWB.
    If any one can suggest a lesson template that would be great. I thought of getting trays (Ppanets) and having the children 'take away' rockets from them.
    Help..please!

3. How about the some work based on the song '5 little men in a flying saucer'. Chn could make masks and act out the song, 1 less each time.
    Open-ended problems in space based on a space book (man on the moon, whatever next).
    I went to a conference on calculation in EY today and one school said that they base their inputs on child-initiated work chn have done. So they may take a photo of the chn during c.i. time and use this for their input.
    In EY Maths should be in a context, practical and based on the vocabulary you are trying to encourage them to use.
    Hope this helps.

4. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner New commenter

i am questioning 'working towards level 1.' this is a description applied to year 1 children who are working with the national curriculum. Foundation Stage assessment is completely different. if you have 2 children already on point 9 they are quite capable and working with numbers to 5 would not challenge them at all.
    i have done a problem solving activity about aliens on the whiteboard. the aliens were meant to have a certain number of legs but not all of them were right. could they help you check and work out what to do to get them right? e.g. the alien should have 10 legs but has 11. What should i do?
    you could do something similar with 5 little men in a flying saucer.
    how long is your lesson meant to last?

5. Thanks ahaywar2 and littlejackhorner for your suggestions.

Yes it does sound like a very developed child working towards a Year 1 level..so I can extend their learning outcome.
    The lesson is 45 mins long.