1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS in year one??

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by impulce, Mar 11, 2009.

1. I teach mixed Y1/2 using an Early Years approach and can outline how we do i - im only an NQT though and it took some getting used to!
    We plan Numeracy following the new framework, as anyone else would, but tend not to get through all children doing every task every day. We have one differentiated focus activity that my TA and I do with groups during the numeracy session, and if groups dont get done we make sure they get chance later on, or the activity the next day is rotated so they get chance first.
    For literacy we plan thematically and link units into themes. Same as above - the usual kind of focus work is planned, and we work with all children in focus groups where possible in the morning.
    Wider curriculum is planned in alongside themes that it fits well with, and its up to teachers to make them fit in with the best themes. They dont always fit, but we try our best. Afternoons are generally for these sessions, but where they link with literacy, literacy AM sessions and afternoons tend to blend and merge.
    We consequently on an average day have 2 tables set up for adult focussed activities, leaving 4 areas. One is a table for a craft based child initiated activity, one for small world C/I, one for writing C/I and one for construction C/I. These tables all have paper and pens on and children are expected to do writing related to whatever activity they 'choose'. Each table then has a laminated, folded "tag" on which outlines the activity.
    We teach our phonics session first thing, and try to link activities on tables to the focus phoneme, the theme, the numeracy objective, etc, so that the child initiated activities always relate.
    For example, last week we were doing stories from fantasy settings, with an underwater theme, focussing on the "igh" family of phonemes.
    On my small world table I had an underwater scene, and a tag saying "Oh no! The fish have had a fight! What might they do to sort it out?" highlighting the 'igh' sounds in red pen.
    On my craft table i had something like "Paint an imaginary fish that can fly!", again highlighting the 'y' sound.
    On my writing table i had "Egbert is blindfolded. Describe to him what it might look like in a fantasy setting under the sea. Is it bright?"
    In my construction i simply had something like "Build a high tower. How many more bricks did you use than your friend?" (It doesnt and cant always link!)
    By "play" its not as basic and exploratory as you would find in a foundation stage, but is more along the lines of setting up play based experiences for them to link to their learning, and base their writing on.
    Activities stay the same throughout most of the day but some will change as children tire of them etc or another idea pops into my head. I find planning it very hard, as i tend to think of more ideas just by being in my classroom and looking around at resources etc, but once you get going with it you find endless possibilities of things.
    Im not sure if that was really what you were asking but thought id try and explain as best as i could!

2. thank you so much!! that helps heaps - this wil sound really random - but do you by any chance teach in london, if so id love to come see how it all works!!
    bex

3. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Impulce
    Your teaching style sounds fantastic! Could you possibly send me some examples of your planning because I would love to try and implement this approach.
    Do you have any ideas for plants/nocturnal animals/Florence Nightingale?
    Thanks
    heleneurope99@hotmail.com

4. Sorry im not in London im in Nottingham!
    And also im afraid i dont have any planning on the computer as i do it all by hand - my numeracy is planned the same as it would be elsewhere, and my literacy/topic is scribbled notes and objectives each day in a planning book.
    C/I activities i just make a list for the week with 5 bullets for each day, and think up what i can - most of these change in line with things that progress through the week, and as i think up other ideas randomly!
    For nocturnal animals your small world area could be some plastic animals that come out at night (if you have them!) or laminated pictures, under a black cloth with some torches. The tag could say "Explore which animals have come out in the dark. Make a list of animals you can see." or extending them to writing a story about it maybe?
    Construction could be lego and say "Can you make a shelter for the fox? Write instructions for another child to make your shelter."
    Craft could link in with a phoneme - if you were doing "igh" for example, you could have paint or any other artistic material and have "Egbert is scared of bats that come out at night. Paint a picture of something that gives you a fright. How do you feel when you are scared?"
    I find it alot easier with a phoneme as you just brainstorm suitable words and then think how you can link them in. I also often have a C/I numeracy activity that isnt related at all as it just cant always be.

5. The carrying on in KS1 books are great for ideas http://www.featherstone.uk.com/
    Hamilton Trust Topics are good and even though some of the lessons seem paper based they are easy to adapt and use your own practical ideas. http://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk/index.asp?id=1

I teach a mixed age class ranging from children of nursery age to more able year 2children with no TA. The class is set up as an early years class with areas of learning and a focus table. However the areas of learning include challenges for children to complete which are very successful. I also have a challenge drawer for children to put their completed work in, plus a shelf for construction they want to save and show and the children can ask to use the digital camera if they want to record it in a different way.

I have two types of challenges around the class

1. A differentiated challenge for each ability group e.g. construction area: Can you build a vehicle from a farm?, Can you build a vehicle that has moving parts? Can you plan and design a vehicle with moving parts and make your design? Can you plan, design, make and evaluate your farm vehicle?

2. I also have challenge cards which are colour coded with a variety of activities for that area of learning. The aim is for all the children to complete the activity at the top of the card and then to work their way down with the more able year 2 children able to complete the challenges at the bottom of the card. e.g. 3D Shapes Can you name the 3D shapes? Which shape is best for building? Can you sort the shapes into curved and flat faces?. Can you describe the shapes in the feely bag? Can you make a net of cube using the polygons? What other nets can you make??. And so on. The children especially year 2 persevere for a long time on these challenges before choosing another area.
    I verbally tell the children the challenges and they are displayed in the area of learning along with a chart which children can fill in with the colour challenge they completed. For nursery/reception they can use talking tins to listen to the challenges and for year 1 and 2 they can read the challenges and ask each other for help.

Some of the challenges last a couple of weeks some last a day it all depends on the activity/topic we are doing at the time. Remember that nowhere on the NC does it say that everything has to be written in books, just make sure you have other evidence through photos, observations etc and make sure that you have evidence that the children are progressing and working to the best of their ability. Also think of the objective or skill you want to focus on and brainstorm ways in which you can teach this practically and don?t be afraid to go with the children?s interests. Once, we were looking at non-fiction books about owls but when researching information the children stumbled upon dinosaurs and bones and became completely absorbed in this. So I changed the theme to match their interests and made our own non-fiction books on dinosaurs with labels/captions/diagrams, glossaries, index, contents and so on, they learnt the skills I wanted them to learn but through a topic they were interested in. Oh and don?t be afraid to take lessons outside either! Hide things, investigate, measure, problem solve. Role-playing outside is good! The children can make as much noise as they want and use a vast space and when you enter back into class they become calm and focussed on the task. I have seen some children who usually lack creative ideas write some amazing stories after role-playing outside. Good luck and have fun!

6. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Thanks for those ideas they are great!

7. https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=3006574

link to history planning Florence