1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS in Year 1? Very confused.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by anon3150, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Sorry if this is a really silly question but have to ask.
    I'm starting in Year 1 next week in a lovely, 'outstanding' school.
    However, am a bit confused. They seem to be following the EYFS framework in Year 1. As far as I can tell from the long term planning it's the old one not the new one. Is this normal? I would ask but don't want to appear totally disconnected. (Have been in KS2 for quite some time). The kids, bless them, are from quite a disadvantaged area. Could this be why? Help!

2. having looked at it again I would say 'partially following'

3. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

The current EYFS became statutory in Sept 2008, and will continue until the end of this academic year. In Sept 2012 the revised EYFS framework will come into play. It has been released early, to ensure that everything is in place ready for Sept.
    Hope this helps, unless you mean they're following Curriculum Guidance for the FS.
    Some schools are continuing EYFS way of teaching and learning into KS1, as a way of continuity, although not everyone does this.
    I would speak to someone, as you want to know excatly what you'll be teaching and assessing.

4. Ah, thank you. All much clearer. [​IMG]

5. children have to stay in EYFS until they have reached all the ELG. this is usually by the end of reception, BUT, if a child hasn't, then EYFS has to be continued until they do. if the school has disadvantaged children, then this could be why EYFS is still partially covered in year 1. good luck

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No they don't!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Teachers in Y1 can continue to use the EYFS Profile as their assessment tool for children where
    they consider this to be appropriate. This will be particularly the case for children who have not
    obtained any or most of the Early Learning Goals (ELG) – scale points 4-8 – in a particular
    EYFS Profile scale.
    The point at which teachers begin to use APP criteria is a matter for
    professional judgement and the teacher's knowledge of the child. Teachers will need to carefully
    consider which criteria best match the child's developing strengths and needs and support them
    in identifying the next steps in their learning.