1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS framework 2012

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by TGB2010, Apr 17, 2012.

1. What I think I'm reading in paragraph 2.7 of the new EYFS statutory framework is that the emerging/expected and exceeding thingy <u>is</u> the profile - "This is the EYFS profile" Have I got this wrong??

2. T34

T34 Established commenter

I think you are correct.
    A rather important change!
    There seem to be no longer such things as "profile points".

3. Interesting! I think that quite a few people in previous posts are waiting for a new profile......
    I just hope LA's do not jump on the band wagon and try and make a replacement!
    We should have confidence in our own abilities to know what our children need and take them on in their learning, without having to dot every i and cross every t along the way.The dm document helps with ideas of what we could do to acheive this. I think exemplas of how different settings might approach teaching and learning in the EYFS, for example how the balance of CI and AL might differ and some examples of different ways to get this balance right including timetabling would be really helpful.

4. I just assumed (wrong of me, I know) that the 'emerging', 'expected' and 'exceeding' would be given a numerical value in the profile in order to give the children a specific points score so that it would be easier to track progress.... Like with the point scores for key stage one and two. Even though they're given a 1a or a 3b as a level, this converts to a points score to show specific progress. This is how i understand it anyway (having never taught anything but EYFS!) We'll just have to wait and see!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The EYFS requires that all children are assessed in the summer term of their reception year. This assessment is called the EYFS Profile.
    In autumn 2012, the Standards and Testing Agency (STA), an executive agency of the Department for Education, will publish the EYFS Profile Handbook, which is designed to support teachers and other professionals to undertake EYFS Profile assessments.
    The Handbook will be supported by exemplification material, which offers a point of reference to help teachers and other professionals to make accurate judgements about each child's level of attainment.
    http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/early-years-foundation-stage-2012/

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

after all ths time, i'm mystified as to why we can't have it now and hit the ground running in september. they've had months to do this.
    i can't help thinking that ofsted won't actually take that into account in the autumn term!

7. emilystrange

lol :D
    they have. our LA adviser says she had a hand in writing it, and that it won't be very different from the draft. so *** we waiting for? christmas? (probably, actually)

8. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

My LA advisers have said they have been working on the exemplification that is due, but they have had to keep reworking things as the points kept changing [​IMG]

9. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

[​IMG]
    Sorry if this has been covered already but with regards to showing progression; are people using a different document or has anthing new been created?
    I only ask because at my training they said NOT to highlight the development matters statements (age band strands) for each child as this is time consuming and not neccessary... then what DO we do instead?
    [​IMG]

10. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

[​IMG]
    Also just to add to and claify my confusion;
    I will still be doing special books and have a phonics and maths book.
    As well I will use the development matters to plan from and the emerging, achieved, exceeding etc is for the end of year assessment...
    BUT how to you show progression throughout the year? If I were to have my usual meeting with the Head in December to talk aout progress; what documents can I show? What data will I have?
    We all know the kids, know what they can and can't do and know where they should (ideally) b...ut how do you show/prove that? (without highlighting 17 pages of dev matters)
    Thanks

11. emilystrange

that's what we've been told to do, in the absence of anything else!

12. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

That's interesting - you were told to highlight the developmnt matters?
    We were told not to at our LA training and by the school. Also somewhere in the document it also says not to highlight or separate the ELGs...so what is meant to happen?
    [​IMG]

13. emilystrange

i must say i havent had my proper training yet, but told this by someone who is closely involved with the training and has been to conferences.
    god knows what we're supposed to do. ofsted are going to have a field day with this, i reckon.