1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS framework 2012

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by TGB2010, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TGB2010

TGB2010 New commenter

How do show progression using the new framework? Help!!

2. I will be doing it in the same way i currently do by tracking progress using the development matters statements, if SMT want figures i'm proposing to give percentages of children working in each stage to track termly. From what i understand the new document (and hense the govt) downplays all this paperwork and its ofsted that want the facts figures and tracking from SMT.
    Saying that im on a course for the new eyfs tomorrow so might change my mind!!!

3. T34

T34 Established commenter

What is a "stage"?
    I can't find the word in the 2012 EYFS framework.

4. Im refering to month, percentage of chn 30-50, 40-60 in each area. No further light from my course today but the general consensus from teachers in my borough is that its something further training needs to be arranged! x

5. I'm going to use development matters to track the stages and then use the profile to assess summatively throughout the year - just like I do now.

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i'm going to wait until i've had my training and my cluster meeting about it all. i'll then probably do exactly what i do now.

7. T34

Definitely!

8. T34

What about the change to (only) 17 ELGs whereas previously it was x ELGs (where x is a number too large to contemplate)?
    Won't that necessitate something new re. your tracking?

9. Training? What training? None in my borough!!!

10. T34

By "profile" do you mean the eProfile software? The eProfile software will not be relevant, surely?
    http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/earlylearningandchildcare/delivery/education/a0068102/early-years-foundation-stage-eyfs
    "A revised EYFS framework and EYFS Profile statutory assessment will be
    in place from 1 September 2012. As the statutory assessment process will
    differ significantly from that currently in place, the Department will
    not commission further development of and support for the eProfile data
    collection tool beyond this date."

11. The word from our LA EY adviser was that development matters would provided the on-going tracking of children's achievement, and that the new profile will be an end of Key Stage summative assessment.

12. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

The problem we have in our LA is that the EY advisers say one thing (end of FS .....) and the SIPs are bashing the HTs on the head wanting term-by-term progress.

13. Then the HT should tell the SIP to have a discussion with the LA EY Adviser. Stick to your principles. I went to an LA briefing yesterday and it was the same message end of FS!

14. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Has been done! Sadly it seems the SIPs are further up the LA food chain than the LA advisers. I think the new profile will help, as it cannot be reduced to "numbers" so is not possible to compare to the rest of the school.

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

16. <h3 style="margin:0cm 0cm 12pt;">

nspectors should use this guidance to manage section 5 inspection, in
    conjunction with The evaluation schedule
    for the inspection of maintained schools and academies
    : http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/090098;
    Conducting school inspections: www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/090097
    and the training materials provided for: the distance learning for early
    reading and literacy; the framework training; and the inspection methodological
    training.</font>
    </h3><h3 style="margin:0cm 0cm 12pt;"><a name="_Toc313632034">[/URL]<font size="3" face="Tahoma">Judging progress
    in the Early Years Foundation Stage</font><font face="Tahoma">
    </font></h3>12.
    <font size="3">Progress from the age-related
    expectations at the beginning of nursery, to the age-related expectations at
    the beginning of reception, on to the end of reception where they can be
    compared with Early Years Foundation Stage Profile national figures is likely
    to represent expected progress during the Early Years Foundation Stage. </font>
    <font face="Tahoma">from Ofsted subsidiary guidance March 2012</font>

17. I would be very happy if the profile document had gone. I would use developmental matters as a basis for planning (including the profile points included in the DM document as and when they became appropriate) <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">
    I would also keep ongoing records of progress in phonics/reading, numeracy and writing. For those who need it , I would keep records of fine motor ,gross motor, speaking and listening and social skills etc. I would use this information to group children for adult led /focus activities and look at how the children moved from group to group half termly to see(and measure) progress and needs and adjust accordingly.(each group has a statement of attainment attached to it and the levels are progressive unlike the profile points) This would keep my head teacher and others happy as it is in line with the school system and actually means something to them.
    For everything else I would use a special book, very much for the children and their parents and without having to link it to this or that profile point. The children can stick in and help anotate bits in special and I would use these books to help children set their own targets and take ownership of their learning.
    I would feel confident from this to both to know where my children are at any given time and to fill out the summative assessment at the end of the year.

</td></tr></table>

18. T34

That sounds fine to me, except what if a headteacher (for example) wants to look at how the children are progressing at some point during the year?
    I would expect most heads would want to be able to pick up at a glance how children are doing in the 17 aspects at 2 or 3 moments during the year (termly, perhaps)?

19. Hi T34.
    I guess they would have to be happy with a % of children who are emerging, expected and exceeding in each area. If that is all that the Department for education want at the end of the year, at least it would tie up. But I am suggesting that we would want more detail on a more frequent basis for reading ,writing and maths. Most schools track progress and target set on these from KS1 up , but not so much for other subjects like music or PE. By the way, I am not saying that the 3R's are more important than the other areas in the EYFS, far from it, just that they suit a more defined and linear approach to their assessment.

20. Our training is in May so I'm yet to hear exactly what our LA advise but by profile I mean the new eyfsp, obviously the current one would be of no use. I worry that as the new goals have so many parts to them, the children may be 'exceeding' in one part but only 'expected' in another... I will be using development matters to track their progress and inform next steps planning. As another poster said, the SMT like to have profile points termly to track progress so this is what i'll be doing when the new profile comes out. I think a % of children who are emerging, expected and exceeding will be what my SMT would like along with specific point scores for each child and an evaluation of that. Until it is published it's all guess work. I'm eager to hear what my LA advise in May.