1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eyfs - different activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Humii, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Hope you can all help...I'm really confused!
    It's my first year working in Reception and it's all new. I'm unsure about how the activities are set out. I have been told that when I am working with a group of children doing a focused activity the rest of the class can choose any area they wish to learn and play at. Must I set some activities out on these learning areas like the maths table, or for creative development or do the children just choose whatever they would like to do.
    Also does anyone have any ideas for encouraging the children to write.

2. Suppose it depends what you define 'child initiated' to be. Most Receptions settings I have been in, would provide resources and activties linked to the current topic/theme and children's current interests. That is mostly how I have worked in the past. On the other hand, some settings encourage children to access resources freely to decide themselves what they want to use and do with them.
    Outdoors - provide chalk, water and paintbrushes. Clipboards and recording sheets for weather, animals, minibeasts and plants they can find outside. Could set up an office in your classroom, provide post its, envelopes etc. Ensure there is opportunities for writing in the role play area.
    Link writing activties to the current topic and make it writing for a purpose. Hope someof that might help [​IMG]

3. You could set out your room so that it is in loosely defined areas for aspects of the areas of learning eg Construction area; small world; creative; shape etc. Each area could have a variety of resources and opportunities for children to choose what they want to use. Try to provide areas for group play, boisterous play (usually outside!), quiet play, secluded play, noisy play (eg with musical instruments), so that a child who choose to play on their own or with one friend has that opportunity, as does someone who needs to tear around and let off steam. I would then spend some time showing the children how they can use the environment. This could actually be a focus activity relevant to PSED and to the specific area you are working in. After that, take some time to observe generally how they get on independently with accessing the resources and make changes as necessary. Then you might want to think about enhancing certain areas by adding resources that are relevant to topics, or children's interests. You might want to limit the continuous provision sometimes too, eg take away all the play dough tools so that it is hands on only, or put the bikes away.As for opportunities to write: you can have your writing table, stocked with lots of variety of paper and boards, writing tools, notebooks etc. This can be enhanced with specific stuff sometimes (eg blank Xmas cards), you can also have opportunities to make marks all around the environment - suitable to the role play, planning boards in the construction, letter stampers with the play dough etc. The best thing for writing is to spend time in the areas with the children modelling writing opportunities. When I have worked in reception the most successful independent writing has consisted of children finding a clipboard and walking round jotting down what they see other children doing! (I didn't know whether to laugh or cry).

4. louisea

louisea New commenter

Hi
    Have you heard of the company NEXUS? We have some pre-writing toys in our reception class that the children love. I don't know what they're called but they are a plastic square with holes in them, there is a needle/pen type thing. You thread a lace through the needle and and then the children use a tripod grip to push the needle through the holes and make a pattern on the square. They are great for fine motor control and correct pencil grip.
    I haven't explained it very well but I often put those out (and children choose them too) in our witing area.
    If anyone knows what they're called??? help
    Louise