1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS class sizes

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Clare C, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hi All, was just wondering what the legal class size is for Early Years F2 (reception). From Sept we will be two form entry 60 place Reception in one large classroom.We have 4 staff members 2 teachers and 2 classroom assisitants (NVQlevel 2) I have just been told that we have lost an appeal and another child will be in my class from Sept taking the number from 30 to 31 in my class group. I am under the impression that class sizes are limited to 30 in KS1 and Reception, is this correct? If so what can I do about this extra pupil? I can feel my stress levels rising already and we haven't even broken for Summer yet!!!!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Infant class size limit applies to reception but as the extra child is admitted by appeal they will be an exception for the year sorry!

3. Hi
    This happened to me a few years ago and we were told that there has to be more than the limited of 30 children in all reception/key stage 1 classes. So we needed over 90 in our one form entry even though there were 32 in my class as there were only 26 in year 2 and 29 in year 1 we didn't qualify for an extra teacher.
    My class for September is already up to 30 and we have 2 appeals coming up! As we only have 58 children in both year 1 and 2 it looks like it could happen again.
    After saying that - my last class of 32 were fab to teach so I didn't have any problems! Keeping fingers crossed for this year too!

4. Msz

You were conned ... for that to be true your extra two needed to be taught in the KS1 classes by the KS1 teachers.

5. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

A few years ago my head wanted the 67 children who were coming up from 3 classes in reception to be in 2 classes in year 1. He was going to give us an lsp3 who would have the lowest achieving children for literacy and numeracy after the two teachers did the planning. When my collegue spoke to her union they instructed her to say that this was going to make it tricky as we were only to have 30 on roll and if the register was more than this then the union would support her in saying she needed an extra adult as none were children who won on appeal.

Next year I am in year 1 again and the year group is coming up as 60 but on roll my class has 31 and the other has 29. A child won on appeal so was placed in my new class as both were full but then the other class lost a child. As much as I would not want to move a child but shouldn't both classes have 30 next year?

6. Msz

Yes they should

7. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Thanks msz. I can see me now saying to my head "31 ummmmmmm should one go next door" reply will be " ummmmmmm you have a 1-1 child" my reply " next door has one as well " can see a lovely conversation coming up!!!!!!! Hopefully fingers crossed will all be sweet, one advantage is I will be full from the first day so will not suddenly get the child to fill my class who has no previous schooling with needs but it will take the authority a minimum of 18 months to award an hour a day!!!!! Like I say 31 is only one more but it has to be 30