1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS assessments

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jamie8, May 28, 2019.

1. Jamie8

Jamie8 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm in the process of looking at assessments for my F2s.

If I want to assess a child at 3- exceeding e.g. Y1 beginning for reading or writing, then do I have to have them at Y1 beginning across all three areas of CLL within the prime?

Much appreciated for your help.

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi.
    No, you assess each ELG in its own right, whilst acknowledging that many link eg exceeding reading links with exceeding understading. In order to assess at exceeding, you need to be confident they are working beyond the ELG, and read the exceeding statement in the profile handbook. Don't be tempted to invent your own expectations to reach exceeding. ( like insisting on correct punctuation, or must be x pages long). It's a statutory assessment and remember it's a best fit so some elements may be stronger than others.
    There is no exemplification for exceeding but you should be attending moderation events that will cover examples.. so we always look at exceeding writing samples because it's one of the trickier ones to agree. You also need to discuss with the year one teacher and other colleagues. If you are being moderated, raise it with the moderator as well. You can't beat peer moderation particularly with writing samples.

3. Jamie8

Jamie8 New commenter

Thanks Grumbleweed, really useful. It’s the ones that link together that I don’t know about. Any chance you could list the ones that link. e.g. reading and understanding.

Many thanks for your help.

4. Jamie8

Jamie8 New commenter

Just found the page referring to it all in EYFS handbook