1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS and Home Learning

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mlscott, Apr 23, 2019.

1. mlscott

mlscott New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm trying to gather some information about home learning and it's link with the EYFS settings.

If there are any EYFS teachers, SLT or trainee teachers on here, I'd be really grateful if you could fill in my survey, or pass it on.
    Or if you're a parent, pass it on to any EYFS staff you know.

Thanks so much community!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
    Mercy
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XVQLKZW

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The survey reads more as if it is written by someone trying to create or promote a homework programme for young children which worries me.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Me too. Learning at home shouldn't be through a "programme" - it should be informal.

4. mlscott

mlscott New commenter

Yes, I completely understand what you mean, however it is definitely not for a regimented homework programme, as I agree, no little one needs that! I'm just trying to see what teachers perceive as the most effective methods of boosting parental engagement in home learning.

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Ideas and encouragement; no programmes, schedules, homework diaries to complete. Parents who aren't engaging are not going to be helped by anything that might make them feel they've failed if they haven't done it - or if their child just wasn't interested that day.

6. mlscott

mlscott New commenter

Such an excellent point! Thank you so much for that insight.

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I think you need to define what you mean by "home learning". In the survey I put that I am very much in favour of home learning, as I understand the term "home learning": an adult engaging with a child, following his lead. If, by "home learning", you mean some kind of set activities for the adult to get the child to do, then I am not in favour of it.

Parents teach their babies to walk and talk. They don't sit the child down and do an activity that teaches him to talk. Instead, they engage with him, notice when he points to something and tell him what it is, repeat words he says so that he can hear the correct pronunciation, etc; they follow his lead, and support him to reach the next step in his development. This is an early example of "home learning" as I understand it. All other home learning for children under 5 should be done in a similar way.