1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EYFS 2012 - possible debate?????

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

to be fair the old EYFS says The EYFS requires providers to ensure a balance of child-initiated and adult-led play-based
    activities. <u>Providers should use their judgement and their knowledge of the children in their care in
    deciding what the balance should be.</u>

2. I think different people will interpret this document in different ways (as usual) and I am sure the debate will be ongoing until everything changes again. I am lucky enough to have a Head who believes in the importance of allowing children to learn through play and this philosophy is carried through to year 1 by a very creative teacher who teaches the NC through a wide range of very practical and participatory activities based on play but developed to help the children become independent and active learners.
    It is up to us to justify the approach we choose, rather than be told what to do. So, apart from the obvious wording changes I will do what I always have and do what I think is best for the children I have each year - and this does change each year with each different mix of children.
    It will be interesting to see other people's views too.

4. 80/20 split was the ratio of CI observations and adult led activities for <u>assessment</u> not the provision.

5. yeah exactly!!!

6. Msz

for assessment evidence NOT balance of teachingtime

7. I think that trying to make it simpler has also resulted in removing some of the language which insisted on good practice, both in the welfare requirements and the areas of learning. The pressure from teachers to be allowed to make their own decisions has been heeded but unfortunately this opens the door to other, less well informed people to revert to poorer practice e.g. more formal teaching in reception. When it comes to being able to enforce good practice from the top, the powers that be can only insist on the letter of the law so, for instance, using the development matters statements can no longer be enforced and young children can, technically, be taught direct to the e.l.g.'s I know good early years practitioners understand child development and teach accordingly but unfortunately there are still plenty of people out there who will slip through every available loophole.

8. Msz

but even in the current EYFS they weren't statutory and only formed part of the guidance document

9. I stand corrected. I have just looked at the document and you are absolutely right - I had always thought they were statutory.