1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

eyebrow threading

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slippeddisc, Aug 5, 2011.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Has anyone else ever had eyebrow threading done before. I had this done for the first time today and I was shocked. It was like torture. It actually felt like they were slicing open my skin. She had to keep telling me to relax because I kept jumping!
    I'm going to stick with wax. It doesn't hurt me at all.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I hate people having it done in shopping centres. Whilst eating a muffin from Starbucks I don't want to see hirsute women getting plucked by someone holding twine in their mouths. Once saw a lady having her upper lip done. [​IMG]

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

This woman asked if I wanted my upper lip done. Cheeky mare - I haven't got any hair there!

4. Oooooh it BURNS!!!!!
    I nearly cried when I had it done. The woman was not very friendly and got quite cross with my jumping in the end. They did look quite good when they were done but didn't last all that long.
    I'm also sticking to wax, although I haven't been for them doing for a bit so they're starting to look a bit mental.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What is that about? People having their hair/face/feet done in the middle of a shopping centre? I'm be terrified of being seen by pupils!

6. I'm of a generation that was taught that any sort of grooming in public is a no-no, and it makes my guts curl when I see people with their vile horny feet in a pool of fish, or even brushing their hair in class.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Agree. Why should we see that when browsing the shops?

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i have mine done tucked in a little corner of a shop , away from the windows. i like it - though it does hurt. i get a much better shape with threading, and my threader makes very sure she's got all the hairs! (bit scary, she looks like a hawk spotting her prey, from where i'm sitting)

9. I have Russian shot-putter eyebrows (well, eyebrow, actually), which I have threaded every six weeks or so. It hurts quite a bit the first time, but I honestly don't find it hurts more than waxing.
    I also can't abide seeing people being groomed in the middle of shopping centres. The people I go to are actually based in a shopping centre, but have a proper little shop with a bead curtain over the doorway, so passers-by don't gawk at the hairy ladies! There are other people who do threading in the centre, a free-standing "kiosk" outside Dunkin' Donuts, and a place in Debenhams, but they make me cringe.

10. I can take this to extremes. I really REALLY don't like having my hair cut, washed, coloured, dried in full view of passers-by. Why do hairdressers' establishments always have huge picture windows? Rarely am I seen at such a disadvantage, except maybe when I'm asleep after a bottle of wine.
    I refuse to sit near the windows. [​IMG]

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The worst thing is when someone in front of you on the bus starts flicking their hair and brushing it and it hits your face. That makes me gag.

12. Nutella that reminds me of when I was in a sauna and a bloke in there kept on passing his hand over his hair and neck, collecting moisture from his hair and neck and flinging it onto the coals. He kept on looking at me in a self-satisfied manner. I had to get out pdq.
    I didn't know that you could get your eyebrows done in the middle of te shopping centre - maybe it reflects the fact that people seem to play out their lives (mobile phones, facebook., TOWIE) in public anyway.
    I must admit I was rather pleased when having a pedi I mentioned my hairy big toes and she whipped out the wax. It was in private, though, let me assure you of that.
    As for doing your hair in public my hair gets done first thing and it doesn't get touched until the next morning. I do admit to sometimes touching up my lippy in the mirror of my OHP though. rarely in front of a class, admittedly.

13. Oh God. That is gross. Couldn't you have squeezed out a few drops of pee and thrown them on?

14. I agree wholeheartedly about the public grooming, what are we? Apes? Also dislike the number of times I've seen ladies merrily showing off their spanx so they can go on about how good they are. All this behaviour destroys any illusion that may have been created and is just not needed! And it's not just the ladies, there's a sign in my gym sauna asking the men not to shave in there, what's all that about?

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Having gone to discover what spanx are, I am most disappointed.

16. They do for thighs and bums what wonderbras did for t1ts. I would guess that they both may cause disappointment when unwrapped, like an unfair description of goods. Although, to be fair I think most men are just happy to be having the chance to 'unwrap' a lady anyway!