1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Eye' migraines. Does anyone else get them?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by rayondesoleil1976, Aug 5, 2011.

1. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

I've been getting visual aura once a month for the past couple of years. I was diagnosed as having 'classic' migraine. Anyway, I was wondering what other people do when they get the visual disturbance. I had it really badly at the end of term so I was able to put a DVD on for my class but it went on for an hour. I don't feel I'll when it's happening but I'm not exactly functional and I can't jump in a car and drive home! I can't hassle my colleagues to cover my lessons until I can see properly again. Oddly the kids are more understanding than some of my colleagues.

Just interested in any hints/tips dealing with this or any arrangements people have made. Many thanks everyone!

2. rayondesoleil1976

'I'll' should be ill. iPhone typo.

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Have you been to the doctor?

4. rayondesoleil1976

Been to the doctor and have medication to take when I get an acute attack but just not sure what to do during the visual aura. If I'm at home I just put my feet up and wait for it to go.

5. I get them badly too, they seem to come in clusters where I get them everyday. Haven't found a solution sadly. Mine usually last about half an hour and I'm fine afterwards. I try to carry on and just not do anything that requires me to be able to see straight LOL

6. Mine changed with the menopause (so it is good for something after all). When i was younger I was unlucky if I got one a year, but the aura was sharp, bright and lasted about 20 mins. If I missed getting home in those 20 mins, then I'd start to lose the vision in half of my left eye and couldn't drive. Then the sick headache.
    Now, however, I get them much more often but the aura is much more diffuse, takes up a bigger part of my field of vision and doesn't always result in loss of vision. The headache is more a dull thud than the piercing godawful thing it was before.
    If one started in school, I had the option of going home (colleagues often offered to drive me or call me a cab; sorry yours aren't more sympathetic) because I was so disabled by the headache, further work was impossible. I wouldn't bother going home now, but I'm not teaching. I'm in a nice quiet office on my own, doing a bit of admin.
    If you feel yours are too bad to carry on teaching, then of course you should go home!

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I get them. But I never get a headache. I find that I can't see what I'm trying to focus on. Also my speech can be disturbed. I know what I want to say but I can't quite say it!
    I was getting a lot last year so I went to the doctor who gave me migraine pills, but when I took one it gave me terrible pain in my shoulders and back, as well as a headache, which was all a lot worse than the visual problems! I definitely get it more if I'm tired or stressed but knowing it will pass means it's easy enough to cope with. I would avoid driving but I can usually manage everything else. The worst thing is if someone phones up who I need to speak to, such as a teacher from my children's school, because I have to try really hard to focus and make sense, and not talk a load of nonsense!

8. anteater

anteater New commenter

I don't have full-on migraines, but I do have optical migraines sometimes. All that happens is that I feel a bit strange without knowing why, then it dawns on me that focus has gone and there is a kind of zig-zag scintillating circle in my vision. It dawns on me more quickly if I am trying to read or look at a computer screen at the time! Average duration is twenty minutes. There is not usually an accompanying headache.
    When it first happened I did rush off to eye casualty, as I had previously had a detached retina, and was worried about the flashing light. However, I've had several of the optical migraines now, and they assure me the retina is still firmly attached!
    If I was teaching during such an attack, I'm sure I could carry on, but I would definitely stop if I was driving.
    Hope the amount of people who suffer from this is reassuring to the OP.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I get classical migraine too - often without the headache, though not always. It comes in phases - several in a year, then nothing much for several years.

It's normal for me....!

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I suffered from migraines for years; they would last for three days sometimes, dull thud on one side, nausea. Anyway, I was put on beta blockers for high blood pressure and they disappeared completely!

11. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

I definitely couldn't continue teacher once a migraine had started and certainly couldn't drive - I can barely see to walk!

I've had migraines since I was 13 and they are getting few and far between now thank goodness.

My triggers are too much cheese or chocolate (same as my mum), tiredness, not drinking enough, being in a stuffy/noisy place.

My attacks usually follow a pattern of the visual aura in one eye, then a headache will develop in the opposite side from the eye. This is followed by severe nausea, numbness of the hands and sometimes speech problems.

One time on a teaching placement at University I had to run out of the classroom to throw up! I was mortified!

12. I'm glad I found this thread!
    I had no migraine problems until I had my first child, which resulted in a week of cluster migraines. I would have cheerfully chopped off my own head to escape the pain. I got one a day for a week, getting less severe each time, and put it down to the stress of having given birth combined with the hormones.
    About a year later I had an episode where I lost my vision completely for about an hour. No fun with a crawling baby to look after (typically happened when my OH was out and couldn't get home quickly).
    Since then I get one every few months. I can't pin any trigger on them. It is just like I have looked into a bright lightbulb as the visual disturbance is exactly like the after effect of doing that. Then the patch of disturbance will grown or move across my field of vision. I don't get any pain and do feel a bit odd for a little while, but can't really qualify how I feel odd.
    I've had a couple in school. Once my HT offered to teach my class and after an hour of sitting in the staff room feeling rotten I had recovered and went back to teach at the end of the day. The second time was when I was in a meeting. I just carried on as normal. It was off-putting, but I knew it would pass within half an hour. By the time the meeting was done and the kids were out of assembly I was right as rain.
    I am glad to read on here that there are others who experience this. (Misery loves company I suppose).

13. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I had "one of my eyes" yesterday. I know it's coming if I'm trying to read and bits of the print are "missing". Then there's a little bit of light in my vision which gradually spreads until there's a stream of colored flickering lights on the edge of my vision in one eye. Then, it gradually shrinks and disappears.

I might get this three or four times over a couple of days and then not for a month or two.
    Sometimes go months without one.
    Never get sickness, headache etc with it. Thank goodness!

14. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter