1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EY dissertation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Evans_sian, May 17, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a second year student studying early years ed with QTS
    I am really confused over my dissertation proposal! I was asked by my tutor what I am interested in and I said dyslexia (as I have it and am always wanting to know more about it) she then pointed out to me that dyslexia can not be diagnosed until the age of 7 and because my degree focuses on age 3-7 I cant do it! :( I then looked at outdoor play and discovered that half my class are doing outdoor play. So Im stuck! I would love to do dyslexia but I also see that I could hark on and on about outdoor play.
    Can anyone think of anything with a bit more 'meat' on it than 'How can the outdoor environment affect childrens learning and development'? or suggest a way I can look at dyslexia?

Thanks
    Stressed out Sian x

2. Hmmmmm

How about taking just an aspect of the outdoor area? Or looking at the differences between boys or girls in the outdoor area?

Otherwise there is always scope to look at boys development in literacy/numeracy?

Any help?

3. also the schools i have worked in previous have always DEST tested the children for dyslexia in reception but i am not 100 percent sure what term they do that in.

4. For my dissertation I looked at the Home/School Partnership - parental involvement in the education of their children. Plenty to go on with that, loads of literature/previous studies and links to EPPE and KEEP, home learning environments, learning links....and so on. Interesting too!

Good luck, whatever you decide! [​IMG]

5. Have you thought about looking at the indoor environment? Elizabeth Jarman and her ideas about natural light, neutral colours and natural materials. Or Steiner Waldorf kindergartens - they do things very differently!
    There's an interesting article here: http://journal.naeyc.org/btj/200405/ConsidertheWalls.pdf
    Something I'm interested in at the moment!
    Kath