1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

EY advisor observing child initiated

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Pat Dewar, Nov 19, 2011.

1. I like the idea they are coming during CI so this is a time when you can play with the children. Scaffold the learning and work with them. It also depends on what your CI looks like but for me it's about the quality of the adult interaction. Don't ask a question if you already know the answer, play alongside and talk about what you are doing, get involved. I don't teach anymore but when I did I used the High/Scope approach and you can see a great 3min clip here of adult interaction during play if you are interested.
    http://www.highscope.org/Content.asp?ContentId=381
    Click on the grid for adult interactions then click on eating snakes! It's great!

2. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

Thank you for sharing the link. I think it's just hard to get my head round being observed in child initiated when I'm not yet used to the year group. How much do people have complete child initiated or have things strategically left out for them to access?!

3. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

Any thoughts?

4. In my experience the advisor will be looking at the quality of the child-initiated play. Having stuff strategically placed does not mean the play is not child-initiated, as long as there is choice. Quality of play will depend on children having access to good quality resources which are appropriate to their interests (these interests may wel include stuff arising drom topic or focus work you have done). They need to cover every area of learning and different scales of work (eg large and small scale construction), as well as being available in different environments (inside/outside, enclosed corner for quiet play, larger area for group play). A huge element of good quality play is good quality support and interaction with adults which can structure the play without being prescriptive.

5. whatever you do only ask open ended questions.
    good luck