1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme hairstyles

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Slurplethepurple, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Slurplethepurple

Slurplethepurple New commenter

EF19064D-E61A-4C62-AAA9-501A3D2F0108.jpeg I start a new school in September and the dress code states no extreme hair styles. Would reddish brown hair be seen as extreme? I used to have bright purple hair prior to teaching and it’s the only thing that I really hate about teaching (that me and the students can’t be individuals).

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hairstyle - does this encompass colour too ? I would find out ...

3. Skiver

Skiver New commenter

If it's causing you to worry about it then ask for the policy on appearance for staff and if it says no dyed hair then change it before you go back. If it doesn't state it and if it's important to you then leave it and see what happens.

4. Slurplethepurple

Slurplethepurple New commenter

It just says no extreme hairstyles which is abit vague. My hairs a faded shade of auburn now and they didn’t seem to mind.

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

If thats the case be prepared to be surrounded by a fair few silver foxes and vixens!

6. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Hair can be adjusted accordingly but I cannot help wondering how many youngsters with tattoos are finding it difficult to be accepted as teachers. No doubt many heads would prefer the pupils not to argue about dress codes etc on the basis that Miss Thingy has green hair and Mr Dodah has a snake tattoo on his arm - "so why can't I?"

peter12171 and Dodros like this.
  7. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

We have tons of teachers with tattoos on their forearms, ankles etc at my school... Deputy head included! Mixed secondary for context.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

In my NQT year, I was a Year 12 tutor, and some thought that a girl in my form, who dressed as a Goth, had too extreme a hairstyle. It was a touch on the red side! As she was polite, cooperative and hard-working, I did not really want to pick a fight on this one, so I ignored it. I got told off for that, but nobody else was willing to take action, so she stayed the same until she left the school to study at Cambridge.

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What colour was it when you went to interview? If it's largely the same colour now, then you'll be fine.
    The picture you posted (hopefully isn't you) isn't an extreme at all...I've had that colour hair several times and no one bats an eyelid.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Aren't tattoos not legal for those under 18?

11. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

I wouldn't say so. I would say 'extreme' would be those that are well outside the range of natural hair colours. And you will know for sure what is allowed once you settle in and meet other staff.

12. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It is, but it is also very easy to get around the rules.

13. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Indubitably: but I know quite a few families that have invested in DIY kit and spend fun hours tattooing each other and friends of friends. The other option of course is to take a holiday where there is no law against it ( or it is not enforced).

14. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

de2607a9b248ca9ff83429428d35a547.jpg

Maybe this would be considered extreme

15. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

16. caterpillartobutterfly

The hair looks fab...lips would be a problem when drinking endless coffee though.

17. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It would be so much easier if the old adage for tattoos was still in place.

Tattoos are for Tarts and Tars :D

18. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

As a mere man, I've often wondered why anybody would want to dye their hair. As a Germanist, I'm all too familiar with the pitiful result when Gustav von Aschenbach in Thomas Mann's Tod in Venedig (Death in Venice) unwisely agrees to his barber's suggestion that blackening his hair will rejuvenate his appearance. The black hair dye running down Dirk Bogarde's face in the final scene of the film version says it all:

19. caterpillartobutterfly

Grey hair on a man is 'distinguished'.
    Grey hair on a woman merely makes her look old.

20. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My wife, like me, has greying hair, although she has rather more left than I do. I don't think it makes her look old!