1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme Earth visit/workshop

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellebk, Jan 2, 2016.

1. ellebk

ellebk New commenter

hi all

having polished off the last of the Christmas biscuits my thoughts are turning to our next topic! we're doing extreme earth with KS2 and are looking at earthquakes, volcanoes etc. but I am stumped as to what we could do for a visit. we're in Lincolnshire which is not exactly known for it's tectonic plate activity! or is there a group who do a workshop that we could get in?

thanks
    EBK

2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Unless you were in Ludford - 5.2 on the whatsit scale in 2008! And part of the Cathedral was damaged due to an earthquake in 11somethingorother.
    The Magna Centre in Sheffield is easily do-able from Lincolnshire, well probably not if you're in the South of the county - but it's straight off the A1. Lots to do there and great staff too.

Also, there's the British Geological place at Keyworth Nottinghamshire. I remember going there years ago - the focus was more on rocks but they certainly touched on earthquakes, volcanoes etc
    Here's a link
    http://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeology/newsAndEvents/events.html

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    ellebk likes this.
  3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

When I said straight off the A1 - what I actually meant was M1:oops:

4. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Instead of a trip why not use both panoramas and green screening to take pupils to those places instead? There are fab panoramas available such as at airpano.com and doink is great for green screening. Could add soundscapes to panoramas, table top audio might inspire and also use thinglink for great presentations!