1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extreme challenging behaviour, MLD age 13-14 help

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Miss_RV, Aug 30, 2011.

1. I am new to my role in a special needs school and I will be working with a boy age 13 turning 14 who has MLD, very poor spelling and reading (reading age is about 5) and who just sits in the classroom and swears. He runs out of the room, throws equipment and aggrivates other students (most children in the group have autism)
    In the past I have asked the Teaching Assistants to take him out to complete the lesson, but he never does do the work. He has threatened to hit me when I have asked him to complete the work and tried behaviour management strategies.
    Does anyone have any good strategies or even books to read? I'm getting desperate! I teach this child for a number of subjects, no teacher in the school has really been able to get through to him.

2. Sounds like he got the cheap diagnosis. Start trying to get him assessed correctly. It may be a long year for you.
    Forget the lessons and figure out what he can or will do. Read what you can about RAD. Meet with the parents (foster parents?)

3. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

Thank you.
    I have a very supportive head teacher, he appears to be ashamed of his limitations and tries all he can to avoid showing these, that's my take on it.
    I've looked at RAD and it does look a lot like that. I'll have a chat with my head on Tuesday :)