1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

extracurricular or extra curricular?

Discussion in 'Music' started by matilda92, May 15, 2007.

1. Does anyone know for certain whether extracurricular is one word or two? I thought it was one, but Head says two.

2. Does anyone know for certain whether extracurricular is one word or two? I thought it was one, but Head says two.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Extra is being used as a prefix, so it shouldn't be a separate word, but it could be hyphenated. e.g. you could say "The department of extramural studies" or "The department of extra-mural studies", but never "The department of extra mural studies" (which would be a department studying more walls!)

Bad mistakes can be made by writing prefixes as separate words ...

For years he had had extra marital sex ...
    For years he had had extra-marital sex.

o)

4. Brilliant explanation, Florian, thanks.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

'Tis a pleasure, but I could have made the point more obvious by saying:

"We offer extra curricular lessons" implies that we offer extra lessons to support the curriculum.

While saying:

"We offer extra-curricular lessons" means that we offer lessons that are beyond the normal curriculum.

Have you thought about suggesting a course in basic English grammar for your head?

6. bod99

bod99 New commenter

(still laughing at extra marital sex)