1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra two in-service days

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by aypi, Jun 11, 2019.

1. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Good news I think, it is only for the coming session

"5. Additional In-Service Days 2019 to 2020 5.1 The SNCT agrees that 2 additional in-service days, to be held in academic year 2019- 20, should be provided to allow schools time to focus on key issues such as workload, additional support and empowering schools. Issues and activities for such days should be decided at school level and by collegiate process, although there is an expectation that opportunities for collaborative practice should be on offer from stakeholders such as Education Scotland, Local Authorities and the RICs."

2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

I'd rather have the weans in

In-service days = teacher detention. Full of meetings to simply organise more meetings

3. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Thanks , teacher detention has entered my vocabulary.

4. AyeRight

AyeRight New commenter

''to allow schools time to focus on key issues such as workload, additional support and empowering schools''
    I asked which of the days should be dedicated to these tasks....''we're too busy!''

5. MrSaturday

MrSaturday New commenter

Losing a full May Monday holiday and getting a half day Friday if you an Edinburgh City employee and most others I would imagine............

Marisha likes this.
  6. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

It sounds like this may be down to individual HTs. In my authority anyway there's nothing more specified than the advice above. If it were my decision, I would take to the advice to mean all teachers get those two days to get marking/planning/reporting done.

7. micgbanks

micgbanks Occasional commenter

Need to be careful LA's don't hijack this time and fill it up with nonsense.

bonxie and bigjimmy2 like this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

You mean you don't do meaningful educational stuff on InService days?!

Freddie92 and Marisha like this.
  9. micgbanks

micgbanks Occasional commenter

During inset days I sometimes have to go inside my head to my happy place otherwise suicidal thoughts drift into my head and a loud voice inside my head starts shouting for mercy. Two more...... please leave teachers alone to use it for their own needs!

bigjimmy2 and Marisha like this.