1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra support from teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grasshopper2000, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:03 AM.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

I'm an NQT and have a tricky KS2 class of 35. Just wanting suggestions of how I could give support to children who need extra support in a particular lesson as they haven't understood it.

I have no spare chairs or tables so moving children to sit sith me is a nightmare and time consuming. Lots of children can't just sit next to anyone due to behaviour.
    I don't like the idea of keeping anyone in at break as I feel it is importsnt they have time to run arround. I keep in some at lunch for a bit who have been chatting or not working so I don't want to keep them in then as it will seem like a punishment. There is one assembly a week which I could keep them back from and work with thrm then. But, has anyone got any other ideas?

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Get another chair and work with them at your teacher's desk? Differentiate your tasks more effectively? Put all your numpties on a focus table and work with them there? You're right that breaks (and actually assemblies) are more important than an extra point of progress.

First things first though, you should be addressing the discipline - it's a foundation point.

This really is a question for your mentor. School leadership have to understand that if they withdraw TA support and overfill classes it won't be possible to offer the same level of support to the students.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 10:15 AM
  3. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

I've only just started so haven't met eith my mentor yet.
    I suppose it's more the children who I realise when I come to mark that didn't quite understand it. If I spend part of the next lesson doing that with them then they'll miss the next bit.
    My classroom is a squash. Three sides of my desk are against walls or book shelves there would only be room for one child!

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Don't beat yourself up about that - if they all got everything right you'd be setting the wrong work, and in a 1:35 ratio it's impossible for you to make sure that they're all on track during a lesson when you don't know the students.

As time passes you'll start getting to know the ones that are going to need a closer eye / grouping / differentiated tasks - you'll be able to focus better on them as you get to know them and so misunderstandings will be reduced.

Remember also that you need to make judgements on whether it is necessary or worthwhile to go back over learning at all - if they're just not ready for it there's not a lot of gain in flogging at it over and over again, that's why we have a spiral curriculum.

Important to recognise this also: you're working in a compromised environment, don't expect perfection, do the best you can do for those kids without compromising your own health and wellbeing. Sounds to me like you're on the ball so ... good luck!

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Making more use of AfL during your lesson will help. Address some of these issues whilst you're in the lesson, and you may also be able to address some of the space issues as well, getting those children who do understand to explain to those that don't.