1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra income besides tutoring from home

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Beckers, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Beckers

Beckers New commenter

Would like to know if anyone is marking papers for an extra income. Where to apply or do I need to register somewhere to do this?

2. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Most major Exam Boards on line.

3. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

The November sittings are very small so exam board are unlikely to need additional markers - they will just use their existing pools. You usually apply on-line- some boards only accept applications if they actively need markers. Others add your application to a pool and pick out what they need when they need it. Experience and references are usually needed

Edexcel https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-for-you/teachers/work-with-us.html

OCR https://www.ocr.org.uk/about/examiners-and-assessors/vacancies-examining-and-moderating/

AQA https://www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/become-an-examiner-or-moderator/examiner-vacancies

4. Easyasabc

There are no more November sittings. There are January retakes in Eng and Maths.

5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

After I retired, I wrote to the exam board we used, who were advertising subjects other than mine, and offered to mark just about anything in Maths. I have had work every year since then. Just check the application procedure for each exam board you would like to mark for, and apply. In my experience, exam boards do get let down by markers from time to time, so you may well get contacted late on even if not offered work immediately.

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

AQA only uses senior markers for November papers.
    Markuss of this parish marks for international exams - Cambridge, I think.

8. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'm surprised he's not already been along to complain about use of the term "exam boards".

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You could always do air bnb for extra income? It's less work...

10. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

Hi,

BTEC courses now do exams (!) - there are exams in January as well as may/june - the science ones are like a-level/gcse exams. as mentioned above there are also cambridge international exams,

good luck !

11. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

There are definitely November GCSEs in Maths and English. I don't know about the other subjects

12. Easyasabc

You are correct - apologies. I was thinking of the result dates.

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would think that marking outside the main exams season is undertaken by people already experienced in doing the same papers. I doubt if new markers will be needed for then. However, no harm in asking, and if you want to mark next summer, it pays to get onto their books early.

14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I mark GCSE Latin & A Level Classical Civilisation for OCR and GCSE Medieval History for Edexcel....decent money but it is very time-consuming in June & July. I'd apply now or in September/October and if accepted, you should get a contract in December from OCR. I can't remember when Edexcel sent theirs....

This is my second year for both GCSEs and my first for A2 but some papers, such as languages are very technical.

You could also do on-line tutoring?