1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

extra hours

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sugarbabe70, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I work as a part time teaching assistant doing 20 hours a week on my contract and then an extra 4 and half hour every week for nearly a year. When should these extra hours be included in your contract?

2. I am in similar position 12 hours on one permanent contract and 6 hours on a temporary contract which runs on a year by year basis. I thought this was common practice, you got offered a contract, over time you are offered more hours, but not on the same contract.
    I've recently been told that I am keeping my 6 hours for next year. HT advised that they don't ever consolidate the hours onto one permanent contract as this removes the school's flexibility in changing TA hours. I am always guaranteed my 12 hours, but additional 6 can be changed / taken away / reduced / whatever, to fit the needs of the school.
    I look at it that with everything going on with budget cuts etc. I am fortunate to have permanent hours. I have also been told that owing to the length of time I have been at the school they equally could not take my 6 temporary hours away and give them to anyone else. If the hours are there, they are mine!