1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra hours after staffing reduction

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by LittleMissCurious, Apr 17, 2012.

1. I think I already know the answer to this, but wanted some other opinions.... several staff (teachers and TAs) at my school had hours cut last year in a formal staffing reduction programme. The need has arisen now for additional hours in one area of the school, and some of those who had hours reduced ae suitably skilled for these roles, and would be willing to increase their hours. The posts, however, have been offered to other existing (and cheaper...) part time members of staff who did not have their hours cut. I was under the impression that the staff whose hours were cut had to be offered the additional hours first.... Am I correct? The staff have been advised to contact their unions, but I'd appreciate some views from here...

2. I think I already know the answer to this, but wanted some other opinions.... several staff (teachers and TAs) at my school had hours cut last year in a formal staffing reduction programme. The need has arisen now for additional hours in one area of the school, and some of those who had hours reduced ae suitably skilled for these roles, and would be willing to increase their hours. The posts, however, have been offered to other existing (and cheaper...) part time members of staff who did not have their hours cut. I was under the impression that the staff whose hours were cut had to be offered the additional hours first.... Am I correct? The staff have been advised to contact their unions, but I'd appreciate some views from here...

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The school can offer the additional hours to whoever they please, or even advertise them outside of school... I am guessing that when the hours of qualified and unqualified staff went through some consultation process and perhaps some form of safeguarding of salary or redundancy on role?

4. This really doesn't seem fair on those who had their hours cut though. If a certain FTE of teaching assistants is needed for the school to operate, those staff shouldn't have had their hours cut in January. The reason given is that numbers in one class have increased, but those pupil numbers were known in January - its not a case of 5 new families arriving.