1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra free to do Role?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by mrandmrsscience, Nov 5, 2019.

1. mrandmrsscience

mrandmrsscience New commenter

I recently became a HOD at a new school (September) and suddenly realised I only get one extra free so to this role. And I’m really finding it hard. I never expected so little time and I have been told this is normal. At my old school HoDs has a much lighter timetable. To top it off my one extra ‘free’ is a fixed meeting and I lose another free for another meeting so I’m actually on less non contact time than a normal teacher. Is this typical?!

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I don't think this is normal - there's another thread about this on the forum. I used to get two extra frees when I was Second in Department!

By the way, if one of those 'frees' on your timetable is designated as PPA then they can't schedule a meeting in it; speak to your union rep about it, but I'm 99% sure that your school cannot direct what you do in your PPA time and therefore cannot direct you to attend a meeting. [I'm assuming you're in a state school - if not then ignore that...]

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You're probably already impaled on the hook but...…

Can you use the social and networking skills, that were part of the reason you got the job, to make the job more bearable?

I can make supply bearable by hustling with as many organ grinders as I can (also ignoring the monkeys). You're way ahead of me in that you already know these in your school. All political skills and nothing to do with teaching but vital for your work/life balance.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Check out what HoDs in similar departments get. Perhaps ask how they manage.

One possibility might be to ask for some occasional one-off non-contact time, perhaps when there's something particular needs doing.

5. ipswichlatebus

ipswichlatebus New commenter

I get no extra time todo my hod role

6. install

install Star commenter

Is it consistent with other hods at the school? Do you have access to their timetables so you can see what they do?