1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Extra evenings added to calendar

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rematch, Oct 3, 2018.

1. rematch

rematch New commenter

My school has just done a 'welcome evening' for year 10 students and parents. Various staff were involved to promote aspects of study, anything from literacy to sleeping well.

It was an extra 2.5 hours midweek starting at 6pm and ran on late. It wasn't on the calendar but a last minute decision to be added on. As a 'one off' (or so I thought) I didn't mind doing it. Only about 10-15 teachers are actually involved in the evening.

It was successful and another similar evening is being proposed for Y11.

What are the guidelines in terms of adding this directed time that isn't in the calendar? I'll do it as I think it will help the students and I don't want to kick up a fuss, it is only one extra evening, but I'm curious what the actual rules are (if there are any?) in case another evening likes this added as well.

My HOD is wonderfully supportive and has suggested I offer an in-class/tutor time alternative that can be delivered during lesson time, with a homework set on Show My Homework so parents can see as well.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What does it say in the budget? Are there unallocated hours? There ought to be - for precisely this sort of eventuality.

Given that you have been offered an alternative? I wouldn't hesitate for a nanosecond. NEVER volunteer to do something at an evening or weekend. You make a rod for your own back and for others.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. rematch

rematch New commenter

I'm not sure if it's in the budget - where would this information normally be found?

My HOD has suggested an alternative because I had a moan but it will be up to the member of SLT to decide if that's acceptable rather than attending the evening. Or is it? Can I just refuse/say I'm busy? As it seems a logical alternative I'm hoping they're okay with it. (Here's hoping!)
    I've been asked to do it rather than volunteering myself and I'm unsure whether I'm justified in saying no. I don't want to be 'that person' while everyone else just gets on with it.

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I'm thinking about it too much and should just say sorry but no?!

4. grumpydogwoman

As NASUWT rep I asked my HT for the directed-time budget the first week in September.

Here's an example.

http://thomasgrayprimary.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Directed-Hours-Policy.pdf
    1. Parent Meetings

These meetings are planned at the beginning of the year; the format and times are agreed in advance. Meetings will continue until 7pm on one day for each class during the Autumn and Spring terms.

Requirement to attend Parent Teacher meetings – 3.5 hours per term (3.30-7.30pm)

Autumn and Spring terms only – Total = 7 hours
    So - at your school. Have the meetings been planned already? No.
    The format and times agreed? No.
    Do you have anything that resembles this? I'm guessing here? NO!

Why not?

It's good enough for Thomas Gray Primary. it's good enough for loads of schools. Not only to do this but to upload it to the web! So how about your place?

Ask. But I'm not so naive as to realise it could put you firmly in the awkward squad. I was always proud to be in that squad though.

But you really do need to know this stuff!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and rematch like this.
  5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Directed time budget and the school calendar should be published and approved, Inc by the unions, way before the start of the year.

If it is not on them then you cannot be directed to attend.

Personally I don't think you should do it at all, I don't want to be overly critical of the OP but the sentence

" I'll do it (Work out of hours for no pay at short notice) as I think it will help the students and I don't want to kick up a fuss"

Describes precisely why we have a crepitacious work life balance and such a problem with MH and wellbeing in the profession.

Some people may be OK with doing the extra, for no money, out of hours, but by doing so they put extra pressure on others to do the same and they may not be OK with it.

On and on the wheel goes.

History88, strawbs, 1970devon and 2 others like this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Directed time budgets and school calendars should be asked for by you union reps as soon as possible in the school year.

Individual teachers should probaby go through the reps to avoid the awkward label.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I gave the staff a directed time budget at the beginning of each academic year without being asked by unions or anyone else.

The strange thing is that the staff were not too pleased to receive it. I don't know why, I never asked but I could tell from their expressions and body language that they didn't feel it was a good thing to receive.

Most of the time nothing you do is right.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Was my wife on your staff?

digoryvenn likes this.
  9. digoryvenn

Ha, ha!
    Gosh, what a coincidence!:rolleyes:

Pomza likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

@digoryvenn

They were bloody ungrateful idiots! They didn't deserve you.

digoryvenn likes this.
  11. digoryvenn

Thanks GDW!

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It depends on whose guidelines. Some people seem to think that anything not on a calendar from the start of the year is not allowed. STPCD has little to say on the subject. The link @grumpydogwoman woman gives goes on to say This leaves 21 hours 45 minutes per year for year group meetings and incidental requirement. I have also found an NASUWT document which mentions 'contingency time' of over 33 hours. So, if the school has left spare directed time, it can be used. If that is the case, you are being paid for it. However, common sense says that there must be sufficient notice given.

strawbs likes this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

This could be very easily done via email or online. And it is then there for the rest of the year to be read again at any time. And any parents / pupils unable to attend can also have access to all that vital information, leaving you with time to get on with more important things.